Jardiance effects - update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nielh123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, and thanks to everyone who replied to my message a couple of days ago. To recap, 5 days after starting Jardiance I very suddenly became unwell with violent vomiting and diarrhea, light headedness, an insatiable thirst and exhaustion. I hoped it was a bug but NHS24 sent me to hospital (where they also suspected covid but happily that was negative!).

Some of you asked whether I was doing keto - yes I was, again only for around three days. I had no idea it was dangerous on this class of drug until some kind souls on here replied to my last post. And I was probably taking it too far, only a few hundred calories a day. I just wanted to kick start the weight loss after hearing about the Newcastle Diet.

Anyway ... out of hours GP did bloods and urine test and told me I was "pouring out" ketones, which I assumed was good but she assured me was not and sent me to A&E.

Things moved fast, I was assured I'd be fine and soon had bags of stuff dripping into me. To be honest the tiredness was such that I'm not clear on what was said then but a doc came to see me later, chatted about diet etc. Told me "avoid ketosis or risk ketoacidosis" (then another new term in this never ending learning curve) and not to exercise so much if drastically reducing calories.

GP today reduced Jardiance from 25mg to 10mg and again advised statins which with my cholesterol at 4.5 I'm resisting for now.

Sorry for essay, just wanted to update everyone who was kind enough to post.

Take away lesson - don't change anything until I've done a few weeks intensive research ...

Sorry to hear about your brush with ketoacidosis @Nielh123

Glad you were able to get treated promptly, and get things turned around.

Hope you bounce back to full strength in no time, and that the reduced dose of your meds work well for you. 🙂

Sorry to hear about your brush with ketoacidosis @Nielh123

Glad you were able to get treated promptly, and get things turned around.

Hope you bounce back to full strength in no time, and that the reduced dose of your meds work well for you. 🙂
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back