Japan specific Travel Guide/Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone know of any country specific guides/ travel tips that help with things like translations for complex phrases that may be needed both written and verbal -
I have type 1 diabetes,
I’m wearing an insulin pump with CGM
I’m having a hypo and need some sugar
Do you have a sharps bin

What to do/where to go in each city/village if your bag is stolen and you need to get insulin supplies etc. Are you covered with a reciprocal agreement with our NHS or not.

Useful emergency contact numbers/ addresses etc.

I’m sure this is something Diabetes UK used to do years ago as I accessed a number of these when I went travelling round the world but I can’t see any on the website and when I called, I was told there isn’t anything……

I’m going to Japan if anyone has any tips?

Many thanks!!

Hi @TashaMcGnashers

This is general info on travelling with T1 from Diabetes UK and there's a link to information on foreign travel on the gov.uk site about different countries including Japan - but not specific to diabetes.

Last edited:
Hi @TashaMcGnashers

This is general info on travelling with T1 from Diabetes UK and there's a link to information on foreign travel on the gov.uk site about different countries including Japan - but not specific to diabetes.
Thanks Flower! It is the more specific info I need for Japan but good to be reminded of what is out there

Google are advertising their translation services pretty hard recently (via the Google App) - hopefully it’ll be as good as they say!

Sorry those mini guides are no longer produced.

It might be worth using google translate for the phrases that you have listed and having them written down, then keeping them with a bit of your diabetes kit.

Google are advertising their translation services pretty hard recently (via the Google App) - hopefully it’ll be as good as they say!

Sorry those mini guides are no longer produced.
Yes it’s a shame but you’re right with Google translate! Doesn’t quite cover everything like emergency contacts etc. Government websites typically are in Japanese so not that easy to navigate but you get there in the end…. Would be good to have an online resource with key tips for countries especially those that use a different alphabet, maybe that could be fed back?? Thanks very much

It might be worth using google translate for the phrases that you have listed and having them written down, then keeping them with a bit of your diabetes kit.
Yes that’s a good idea and I will be doing that! I’m sure others would like travel information as well, so would like to see something added to the website as not everyone is tech savvy….. I guess there would need to be enough interest shown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back