James Norton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to have such a positive advocate for us.
A good example of finding workarounds to problems.

I heard him speak about this at TAD (Talking About Diabetes) a few hears back.

Such a lovely guy. Really genuine, generous with people, and very funny.

Bit like doing an eight or ten hour shift, then? Or even being at school with T1 insulin dependency.
Always have impressive bulging pockets..
Not sure how an actor can achieve this, apart from a pre show “ritual” checking the stage or film set for BG “prompts.”

Or doing 6 hour shifts on a stand during a technical conference.
The least favourite part of my job even before adding Type 1 into the mix.
I try to keep hypo treatment close to hand but others often move them.

Or doing 6 hour shifts on a stand during a technical conference.
The least favourite part of my job even before adding Type 1 into the mix.
I try to keep hypo treatment close to hand but others often move them.
Nobody moves my shtuff. Why would they need to. Focus & consistency is needed in my job. Bit like James Norton doing a “gig?” I’m certain that to make the show running smooth for JN props & scene shifters have been explained his condition. “Don’t touch my shtuff.” Even if they just think, Oh, it’s just one of his actor “ritual” thingy’s. Let the diva do his thing. I can see the practicality.

Unfortunately, when I am manning a stand, I may be joined by people who don't know me. They don't know that my bag should be treated any differently to any other bag.
I prefer not to be the diva who preaches to others. I am no James Norton who practices with the same team again and again and again. We rack up, encourage people to our stand and show them a demo whilst explaining how our product is better than any other at the conference.
I have exchanged words with one colleague who did know about my diabetes. But most of the time, I just roll with it.

Unfortunately, when I am manning a stand, I may be joined by people who don't know me. They don't know that my bag should be treated any differently to any other bag.
I prefer not to be the diva who preaches to others. I am no James Norton who practices with the same team again and again and again. We rack up, encourage people to our stand and show them a demo whilst explaining how our product is better than any other at the conference.
I have exchanged words with one colleague who did know about my diabetes. But most of the time, I just roll with it.
I’m absolutely puzzled why anyone seeing a bag or any possession that isn’t theirs would feel the need to touch it. (Unless in a secure area seeing an unattended bag as a potential “suspect device.” But even then it would be reported as such to the relevant authorities.)
My experience has been very different. It goes without saying. No colleague touches anyone else’s stuff.

Good to see your still manning that hotdog stand @helli

@Satan’s little helper I did not explain.
When working on this stand, we have about 15 people coming and going using a small cupboard to store their laptop bags. So the bags are just heaped on top of each other. I try to keep my bag on the top so I can access my hypo treatment but it often gets shoved to the back with lots of other bags on top of it. As anxiety can be a symptom of a hypo, it is far from ideal digging out all of the bags in a public setting to find my bag.
Do others move my bag? They could argue not because it is in the same cupboard.

@Satan’s little helper I did not explain.
When working on this stand, we have about 15 people coming and going using a small cupboard to store their laptop bags. So the bags are just heaped on top of each other. I try to keep my bag on the top so I can access my hypo treatment but it often gets shoved to the back with lots of other bags on top of it. As anxiety can be a symptom of a hypo, it is far from ideal digging out all of the bags in a public setting to find my bag.
Do others move my bag? They could argue not because it is in the same cupboard.
Can you not pocket what you need in the event of a low? Maybe keep under the stand? My bag could be in a van or in another area. Nobody touches it. Granted, I have surplus in the bag too. But my treatment is like a “second skin.” (At least, “something.” Is pocketed.)

I’m still bemused how JN handles it? No real detail in the article. Coke in a period tea pot? Or maybe lucozade to look like decanted whiskey on a mantlepiece?
Spouting “lines” to maintain continuity in a play with other actors has got to be difficult chewing a jelly baby.
Though, there can be retakes with TV.

I’m still bemused how JN handles it? No real detail in the article. Coke in a period tea pot? Or maybe lucozade to look like decanted whiskey on a mantlepiece?
Spouting “lines” to maintain continuity in a play with other actors has got to be difficult chewing a jelly baby.
Though, there can be retakes with TV.
Perhaps he has managed it so those things are only there if he has an emergency? Like you say, would be interesting to know!

Can you not pocket what you need in the event of a low? Maybe keep under the stand? My bag could be in a van or in another area. Nobody touches it. Granted, I have surplus in the bag too. But my treatment is like a “second skin.” (At least, “something.” Is pocketed.)
The cupboard IS under the stand (or rather under the demo area) and the "uniform" is jeans which, as a woman, the pockets are big enough for a wafer thin mint but little more.
Don't worry, I am not after a solution. Just highlighting how challenging it can be.
Instead of a tube of Lift in my pocket, I tend to identify the stands giving away sweets so I can get to them quickly.

The cupboard IS under the stand (or rather under the demo area) and the "uniform" is jeans which, as a woman, the pockets are big enough for a wafer thin mint but little more.
Don't worry, I am not after a solution. Just highlighting how challenging it can be.
Instead of a tube of Lift in my pocket, I tend to identify the stands giving away sweets so I can get to them quickly.
I appreciate how challenging it can be. Been doing this a long time. Also confident I can handle more than three or six hours earning my way with alot less than jeans & a teapot? 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back