I've lost the plot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proudspirit

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Since i went to the GP who told me to just test 2 times per day i have lost the plot.. sometimes dont test at all, have felt ill again for a week now, although felt great at weekend.

So test in the morning, its normally between 8 & 9.5ish have breakfast, normally toasted burgen bread. then have lunch at 12.30ish by this time i am already feeling shakey, feel tired about 1/2 hour to an hour after lunch, like now all arms aching and feel drowsey. if i have a nap will wake up feeling ok but hot faced after dinner.

When i was told to test test test by the dsn i tested 2 hours after breakfast and if it was low i'd have a snack, then again before & after lunch and dinner and i seemed to be able to adjust what i ate, ie if it was in the 9's before dinner i wouldnt have carbs.

Sorry guys, just rambling now, i cant explain whats going on but feel like i cant be bothered with it all.

any ideas?

Julie x

Hi Julie,

I hope you feel better soon.xx🙂

Have you felt like this since the Dr told you to only test twice a day?

If you felt much better and in control when your DSN told you to test test test...and you could eat accordingly etc...then if it was me...I would do what worked for me before the Drs remarks..which was this way.

I may get slated for this but sometimes Drs, are not the best judge when it comes down to management of any type of diabetes..

Diabetes is an individual condition and you have to do what you feel the most happiest in doing...

Hope this helps

Heidi
xx🙂

Hi Julie,

I would say that the best approach would be to find out the patterns, so you can be more confident of what you can (or must) eat, and when. This does take some time, and unfortunately does require a good amount of testing. Testing is a pain (literally!), but I personally feel happier knowing what little adjustments I need to make to keep my levels...erm...level 🙂

In time, you will learn to more easily recognise when you need a snack or when to lay off the Galaxy - not always accurately, it's true, but for a lot of the time. Occasional testing when you know for a fact that your levels are fluctuating doesn't really help your peace of mind.

Since i went to the GP who told me to just test 2 times per day i have lost the plot.. sometimes dont test at all, have felt ill again for a week now, although felt great at weekend.

The reason he is saying 2 per day is purely down to cost - probably pressure from the PCT to reduce strip prescriptions and reduce the budget.

In my first months after diagnosis I tested a lot. I learned a lot, but then once I knew how most meals affected me, I tested a lot less. I don't test that much these days because I already know roughly what the BG rise is going to be from a meal. Lets face it, even before diagnosis a lot of the time we eat the same few meals every week - particularly for breakfast and lunch.

So if you are limited on strips, there is an approach which can help. Take it one meal at a time and we'll start in the morning and work onwards.

So for the first week, you test breakfast and work out what meals do not raise your BG too much. You find a couple of options that do not raise your BG too high, then stick with those while you move on to test lunches for a week. Then stick with a couple of lunch options which work for you and then test around dinner.

After all of that, you can revisit breakfast and play around till you find some more options which work for you and so on. Fine tune things and find more options.

During this, if you are going to snack, have nuts. Not salted, no raisins, no dried fruit. They do not have much carbs in so will not have a huge effect on your BG but should keep you out of trouble either way. You can work out what snacks do to you once you have the meals sorted out.

That's 2 strips a day, plus the odd one if you feel "odd" from being high or low.

I would suggest you test before the meal and an hour after. This is to see how much your BG is raised by. The less BG rise you can get from a meal the better, so you are looking for the change, rather than the actual numbers really. The reason I say an hour rather than 2 is that you will commonly see the peak BG at one hour, so you will see the worst that it gets.

Once you start to control the BG rise, the actual numbers will start to fall gradually until you are back towards a more "normal" level.

Now breakfast in particular is a problem because many people have greater insulin resistance in the morning than later in the day. So any carbs you have for breakfast are likely to have a greater effect at breakfast than if you had them later.
Here's a link to my breakfast suggestions (Link to Alan's breakfast suggestions at the bottom of it):
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/diabetes-blogs/Shopping-For-Breakfast.html?blogger=VBH
Get breakfast cracked and its half the battle.

As for what to eat generally and eating to your meter, Jennifer's advice gives some guidance:
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/jennifers-advice
Plus if you bulk up your meals with the "free veggies" then they will not affect your BG too much:
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/free-veggies

Finally, you have a very high fasting level, but this is probably due at least in part to your running high numbers all day anyway. Get your numbers down for the rest of the day and you should see your fasting level come down as well.

You are probably also suffering from dawn phenomenon. This is where your BG drops overnight so the liver dumps glucose in your bloodstream to bring it back up - but because your insulin system is "broken", your BG goes high.

What works for most people is a snack of a few slow carbs, with some protein and fat. The closer to sleep you are when you eat it, the more effective it is, and it should be at least 3 hours after your last meal to be most effective. I find it can knock at least 1mmol/l off my fasting BG the next morning.
This explains in more detail:
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/dawn-phenomenon

Get your BGs under control and you will feel FAR better all day. After being out of control I was amazed at how much better I felt once I got under control.

I know this seems like a lot of stuff at once, but it does work for any T2 who gives it a serious try. Its aimed at what works for you rather than "diet x". At the end of it you should be able to find meals which can fit in with your life and do not feel too restrictive, so in the long term you are less likely to rebel against it all.

Hope this helps.

(now I have to go write this up as an article cos it takes ages to type this out every time I post it to a forum lol)

I agree with Heidi, test as often as you feel comfortable with and talk to the nurse.

When I need advice I go see the practice nurse, if I need medicine I try to see the nurse who then tells the doctor I need this or that medicine, then I see the docotr if I've already been off a week and need the certificate.

Thanks for the replies guys, Yes it is since i stopped testing regularly. I did ask the GP what the point of testing twice a day was! I will be seeing the GP on Wednesday so will air my greavances then!

VBH, thank you for your very long answer, it must have taken you ages! great idea to to 1 meal at a time, i nearly had breakfast sorted but went off the rails!

1 of the problems is i don't have a clue what the consiquences of having high bg is and i don't think i eat badly, don't eat cakes, biscuits etc, will plod along.

Thanks again

Julie xx

Thanks for the replies guys, Yes it is since i stopped testing regularly. I did ask the GP what the point of testing twice a day was! I will be seeing the GP on Wednesday so will air my greavances then!

VBH, thank you for your very long answer, it must have taken you ages! great idea to to 1 meal at a time, i nearly had breakfast sorted but went off the rails!

1 of the problems is i don't have a clue what the consiquences of having high bg is and i don't think i eat badly, don't eat cakes, biscuits etc, will plod along.

Thanks again

Julie xx

How did you get on with the doctor? I hope everything is OK

1 of the problems is i don't have a clue what the consiquences of having high bg is

Not sure you really want to hear this but you should be warned.

1) Uncontrollable Tiredness. High BGs can cause you to fall asleep even if you are in a meeting, driving a car, in mid-conversation etc.
2) Generally feeling rough. Its amazing how much different you feel when you get under control. When I got control I felt better than I had ever felt before in my life.
3) Higher chance of infections of all types, particularly thrush.

Now the scary stuff, which is the main reason you want to get your BG under control. I am NOT just trying to shock you here. This is just what happens if your BGs are not controlled:

Uncontrolled high BGs cause "microdamage" to blood vessels, particularly the smaller capilliaries which accumulate over a long period. So if you do not control your BG for years, this leads to:

4) Retinopathy. Damage to the small blood vessels in the eye. Leads to blindness. You should have retinal screening annually - they take a photo of your eye and look for signs.
5) Nephropathy. Kidney damage. Leads to dialysis and transplants. You should have various kidney function blood tests along with your A1c.
6) Neuropathy. Nerve damage, particularly to the extremities. This is why you should have your feet checked annually. With no feeling in the feet, some people suffer damage (stand on glass etc) to their feet without even noticing, the wound deteriorates quickly. Can lead to amputation.

And just for the gents...
7) Erectile dysfunction.

Pretty bad isn't it. The good news is that the more controlled your BG is, the less the chances of you having any of the above. For example, if you have an HbA1c of 6% for 15 years, you have a 2% chance of retinopathy in that time. The higher your A1c, the higher the odds.

You should really have been told all this on diagnosis, but things do get lost in the shock of diagnosis.

(although I love the way they say "you have diabetes....now lets see what your blood pressure is like....oooh its high". I wonder why, eh?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back