I've gotten nervous about trust ING my metter

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
So I've switched to the wavesense jazz metter because the strips were cheeper(the cannot reorder until date hasn't changed which I thought was the idea) after stuff I read and heard from other people. Apparently it's not as accurate as some reading the report in back of think like a parcus book and I heard some stuff from other peopl(peepherps there better then were a few years ago.(maybe I'm over thinking and just need to trust it I think the only way that would complete price of mind was if it was tested against a machine in hostpal well I was at an appointment but that's probably a bit excusive) there is one set of test strips I would like to use(because it seems there known to be most accurate and have the lowest operating temperature which would suit my job more but would never be able to get those strips proscribed)

When I was admitted to hospital the wavesense jazz readings were close enough to the hospitals readings.

When I was admitted to hospital the wavesense jazz readings were close enough to the hospitals readings.
Okay well that's good to here then. I think people were having problems with in past it sounded like but I think a few years ago. I'm not using the wireless (I probably lose it if I used as my main metter I'm going to keep it as a back up,)

Hello @rayray119 ,
I think all meter readings are inevitably subject to some inaccuracy, not just because of the manufacturing tolerances but also the simple reality that your BG can change quite quickly and 2 readings some 10+ seconds apart can be a little different. So I think it's best to not get too "hung up" on accuracy but accept that you are in a "zone" and respond accordingly.

I recall you saying in acdifferent thread that your latest HbA1c was 47, so from that evidence you are doing a lot right.

Hello @rayray119 ,
I think all meter readings are inevitably subject to some inaccuracy, not just because of the manufacturing tolerances but also the simple reality that your BG can change quite quickly and 2 readings some 10+ seconds apart can be a little different. So I think it's best to not get too "hung up" on accuracy but accept that you are in a "zone" and respond accordingly.

I recall you saying in acdifferent thread that your latest HbA1c was 47, so from that evidence you are doing a lot right.
well that's what it was when it was tested in at beginning at January I hadn't had much shifts back at work and things atthat point. i'll see what it is next time its tested but i'l try not to worry about it so much(I need to remind myself more that diabetes and being a bit of a perfectisition don't go well together(I've aslways been a bit of one)

Hi Rayray,

for what it’s worth I’ve only ever used Wavesense (7 + yrs now) and my average results using those strips agrees fairly well with HBA1c results

Echoing other replies, trends are maybe more useful insights than individual results or short term blips.

Whilst I might correct in response to individual results, I only choose to consider that something has fundamentally changed if average results are persistently different for at least a week

Hi Rayray,

for what it’s worth I’ve only ever used Wavesense (7 + yrs now) and my average results using those strips agrees fairly well with HBA1c results

Echoing other replies, trends are maybe more useful insights than individual results or short term blips.

Whilst I might correct in response to individual results, I only choose to consider that something has fundamentally changed if average results are persistently different for at least a week
How do you find it in the cold(or even not that cold but outside)

Not aware of any temperature related difference to do with the strips. If my hands are cold a bit more challenging to get a decent sized droplet to test but otherwise no difference seen in results

Not aware of any temperature related difference to do with the strips. If my hands are cold a bit more challenging to get a decent sized droplet to test but otherwise no difference seen in results
Error no error 4 messages then

Every now & then but no obvious temp connection

Every now & then but no obvious temp connection
Error 4 means the temperature is too low to test. This happens below about 16c with mine

It suppose to be s 10 degrees operating temperature glad I got the wireless as a back up as I just had use it as I really couldn't find the one I the other I set up an alarm to go off when I'm suppose to take my li e rmir so I'll hopefully I'll hear it when it goes off in the morning and that should locate where it is.(I did not the best way of pricking my finger to use it

I've had the occasional error 4 but so infrequent that I hadn't even bothered checking the significance and have usually just assumed that the particular strip was a dud.
No recollection of ever getting the same error with successive strips

The strips don’t mind the temperature, it’s the readers that go haywire if they’re too warm or cold. I once had to to take my Libre reader snd put it in the fridge after being on the balcony table (in the shade) on a warm day. Only then would it read my sensor.

I've had the occasional error 4 but so infrequent that I hadn't even bothered checking the significance and have usually just assumed that the particular strip was a dud.
No recollection of ever getting the same error with successive strips
If you don't spend a lot of time out doors in the winter then you probably wouldn't correlate the occasional error with the cold but I can tell you that it is somewhat frustrating when you are hypo and outside in the cold and wanting to test and your meter is too cold to function and "eats" several strips before you get a reading. I now don't even try until my meter has been down my bra for 5 mins, hypo or no hypo, although just occasionally I forget in my haste to test. Thankfully the Libre reader is less affected by the cold (probably due to rechargeable batteries rather than button batteries, but the sensor is, so it's no good going out in the cold for a run with bare arms.

Think I'm going to discuss my job in more detail and explain my concerns about temperature it will sometimes mean being outside in low temperatures wanted to test on my walk home yesterday at midnight got an error 4 and second test was fine however it might not actually work out as cheaper as they week. So I'll see if they can aruge to give strips for one better suited for my job and have to make do in the meantime

The strips don’t mind the temperature, it’s the readers that go haywire if they’re too warm or cold. I once had to to take my Libre reader snd put it in the fridge after being on the balcony table (in the shade) on a warm day. Only then would it read my sensor.
I probably get the other people in the summer epasilly if we get that heatwave we did last year. Proberry need to look up how to keep my insullin cool. Even on days I'm not working I like to take it when out incase I decide to have a snack.

I probably get the other people in the summer epasilly if we get that heatwave we did last year. Proberry need to look up how to keep my insullin cool. Even on days I'm not working I like to take it when out incase I decide to have a snack.
Unless you leave it in a hot car or in a conservatory your insulin is unlikely to overheat. Both my Levemir and Fiasp go everywhere with me in my little back pack handbag. It is however a light coloured bag so it reflects heat rather than absorbing it, so that may be something to consider.

Unless you leave it in a hot car or in a conservatory your insulin is unlikely to overheat. Both my Levemir and Fiasp go everywhere with me in my little back pack handbag. It is however a light coloured bag so it reflects heat rather than absorbing it, so that may be something to consider.
I have a pick rucksack but I was meaning to get a darker collored one to make it more appropriate to carry one me at work. There may be some times il have showed things in my pockets for a couple of hours to.

Well afterung getting an error 4 message in my bedroom before testing before lunch(it could have just been a bit of a blip)its duffintty time to discuss the suitability of it(it may not be cheaper after all) I'll find of it working until then. By keeping it close to my body and/or warming it my hands before testing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back