I've been offered a pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbie1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yesterday I attended what I thought was a simple preliminary to going on a carb counting education course at my local hospital in Hampshire. I have never attended the diabetes clinic there as I am looked after at my local GPs.

After the nice lady sat me down and asked me what I was hoping to get out of the course, she basically offered me the chance to go on a pump.

I told her that I had always appreciated they were in short supply and expensive and as I am now in my 60s and T1 for over 40 years, I would prefer that any available pumps are offered to youngsters and children who would really benefit
She told me that there was no question of limited supplies or funding and if, after the course, it was going to be right for me, she would arrange it. I'm sure that I've seen some of you on here struggling to get pumps prescribed?
So is this the postcode lottery working in my favour again? Or is it just that they actually are more widely available?
I need to ask about a CGM next, I guess!

But seriously is there any good literature I can absorb over the next 6 months so I can understand a bit more about exactly how it works and what happens? Is there any set of FAQs available?
Thanks

I suspect like everything else medical wise it is a postcode lottery!

I was given my pump at the age of 57. I cannot believe what a difference not makes. Life became more flexible and I got back a lot of control of things, as well as lowering my HbA1c. There is absolutely no way I would give it back now.

For some good reading there are two good books, Think like a Pancreas, and Pumping Insulin. I have found that I keep going back to these as I have learnt more and find that I understand more. There is also a load of help on here from other pumpers. So just keep reading, and keep asking questions. No one will mind.

There are a few of us who have gone on and on about how we love our pumps and why so you could have a look back in this thread as well, but don't be afraid to simply ask questions as they come up.

Happy to help

At 59, I'd just had mine about a fortnight when I met another T1 in her 60s (from Hampshire LOL, but actually at a T1 Diabetes UK 'do' at Warwick University Medical School) and she said the same as you. Rubbish I said - there's no age limit on quality of life! My mate in Cornwall was 66 - and I had to give her a talking to, too!

I'm 66 now and well into my second pump. No problem getting one in this neck of the woods either really; the only drawback is shortage of staff to do the training here, so usually they start a few of you together - they get more useful question and answer sessions when there's a gang of like-minded individuals in a room together - you'll find this when you do your carb counting course - lot's of laughs as well as being utterly brill. God - I'd been T1 well over 30 years when I did mine and knew a lot - but you can ALWAYS learn something new, and I did. And it all just fell into place - no more guesswork - just LOGIC.

Go for it! As has been said - we'll help if and when we can. ( And sympathise PROPERLY when you get in a mess! - we all do that as well, LOL)

Go for it! But be warned cgms are not so easy to get:(

Yesterday I attended what I thought was a simple preliminary to going on a carb counting education course at my local hospital in Hampshire. I have never attended the diabetes clinic there as I am looked after at my local GPs.

After the nice lady sat me down and asked me what I was hoping to get out of the course, she basically offered me the chance to go on a pump.

I told her that I had always appreciated they were in short supply and expensive and as I am now in my 60s and T1 for over 40 years, I would prefer that any available pumps are offered to youngsters and children who would really benefit
She told me that there was no question of limited supplies or funding and if, after the course, it was going to be right for me, she would arrange it. I'm sure that I've seen some of you on here struggling to get pumps prescribed?
So is this the postcode lottery working in my favour again? Or is it just that they actually are more widely available?
I need to ask about a CGM next, I guess!

But seriously is there any good literature I can absorb over the next 6 months so I can understand a bit more about exactly how it works and what happens? Is there any set of FAQs available?
Thanks
Hi Barbie1. I was in my 40 odd year of being T1 & got one. They are cheaper to run & miles better when you get it tuned to match your lifestyle. If you don't want to eat you don't need to 😎. After a life of having to have "x" carbs off the injection it so adaptable, Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back