It's not just the fat who get type 2 diabetes. Steve Redgrave got it - from his genes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When rower Sir Steve Redgrave won his fifth Olympic gold medal in Sydney he had a secret stash on-board with him.

Sellotaped to the inside of his boat were some sachets of sugar.

This wasn't just in case he got hungry. It was there if his blood sugar dropped too low. For just three years earlier, in 1997, Steve, who at the time was an impressive 6ft 5in and 16st, was told he had type 2 diabetes.

'I suddenly thought, ?What if something happens out there? - sugar was the only thing I could grab quickly,' he recalls.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2439542/Steve-Redgrave-got-type-2-diabetes-genes.html

When rower Sir Steve Redgrave won his fifth Olympic gold medal in Sydney he had a secret stash on-board with him.

Sellotaped to the inside of his boat were some sachets of sugar.

This wasn't just in case he got hungry. It was there if his blood sugar dropped too low. For just three years earlier, in 1997, Steve, who at the time was an impressive 6ft 5in and 16st, was told he had type 2 diabetes.

'I suddenly thought, ?What if something happens out there? - sugar was the only thing I could grab quickly,' he recalls.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2439542/Steve-Redgrave-got-type-2-diabetes-genes.html

As he's type 2 and has a pump, the old saying of it's who you are that counts, is obviously very true 🙄

As he's type 2 and has a pump, the old saying of it's who you are that counts, is obviously very true 🙄

I was surprised it says that he's only had the pump for 6 years, I always thought he'd needed it more or less from the start so he could do his training for Sydney. Shame about his friend, doesn't sound as though he was very well supported if he felt he needed to hide the problem with his foot until it was too late :( Typical DF line abut his level of 32 being 'over 3 times normal' - er, how about 6 times normal? 😱

I was surprised it says that he's only had the pump for 6 years, I always thought he'd needed it more or less from the start so he could do his training for Sydney. Shame about his friend, doesn't sound as though he was very well supported if he felt he needed to hide the problem with his foot until it was too late :( Typical DF line abut his level of 32 being 'over 3 times normal' - er, how about 6 times normal? 😱

I did scratch my head over 32 being 3x over normal. 😱 I also thought he had the pump from day one.
Still not fair he has a pump and non famous type 2's who would benefit can't have one.
Mind you now we know he is def type 2 perhaps type 2's who would like to benefit from a pump should show the article to their consultants 🙂

I did scratch my head over 32 being 3x over normal. 😱 I also thought he had the pump from day one.
Still not fair he has a pump and non famous type 2's who would benefit can't have one.
Mind you now we know he is def type 2 perhaps type 2's who would like to benefit from a pump should show the article to their consultants 🙂

Yes, he's always been a bit coy about his type in the past, hasn't he? A bit like Halle Berry 😱 I imagine he's self-funding the pump. I believe he sought advice from the guy who runs the runsweet website.

He could well be self-funding. There is no way he could have trained and performed to the level he needed to without a pump. My son did a school project about Steve Redgrave's diet and exercise regime when training - he ate an average 6500 calories a day, mostly carbs! Split into meals and snacks.

Yes, he's always been a bit coy about his type in the past, hasn't he? A bit like Halle Berry 😱 I imagine he's self-funding the pump. I believe he sought advice from the guy who runs the runsweet website.

Halle Berry is diabetic?

He could well be self-funding. There is no way he could have trained and performed to the level he needed to without a pump. My son did a school project about Steve Redgrave's diet and exercise regime when training - he ate an average 6500 calories a day, mostly carbs! Split into meals and snacks
He could well be self funding now but when he was in training he was using lispro (Humalog) and Humulin I (Isophane ).

The use of a continuous subcutaneous
insulin infusion pump was considered because it enables infusion
rates to be adjusted rapidly to meet requirements. This
seemed to offer potentially near-physiological insulin replacement,
but the reported experience of such pump therapy in
exercise was limited and Steven felt that the pump would be
cumbersome, particularly during rowing.

Olympic diabetes
Ian W Gallen, Ann Redgrave and Steven Redgrave
http://rcpjournal.org/content/3/4/333.full.pdf+html

Status
Not open for further replies.