Its happened>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotchop

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Evening all

well, its finally happened.... ive started insulin.... last tuesday

Im having a few problems but dont know whether its related or not and was hoping that maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

Currently on 12 units of Levemir every morning, increassing every 3 days or so depending on bg figures.. ( im avaraging 8.4)

I am so very very tired, i could sleep on a pin, most of the day.. i get to tea time and im ready for bed! literally, and sleeping through the night too.

Im getting tearful( not like me!) but im soo tired :( and im reallt bad tempered and snappy both at home and at work! unheard of!

I am injecting into my stomach, rotating my sites yet my punctures are bruising badly and the puncture holes are clearly visible.. the needles im using are the 8mm ones and surprisingly, they dont hurt at all.. in fact, i dont feel a thing when i inject.. i do an airtest 1st so i know the insulin is getting through.

the doc has told me that i need novorapid for mealtimes but needs to make sure that I am comfortable with injecting and getting my fasting levels under 7 before starting these.

He has also stopped my gliclizide tabs so not to induce any hypos. Im still taking metformin twice a day.

am i missing something? is it normal to feel like this?

Im not feeling bad that i am on insulin at all.. the insulin is giving me what my body cant.. so im pretty level headed in that respect...................

Last edited:
Hi hotchop i cant relate to the insulin but i have recently just started on byetta which i also have to inject,luckily i seem to have taken to it really well which is a surprise for me i usually take ages to get used to things like this, i just wanted to say stick in there things will get easier and all you need to know will be answered for you in here hun.

p.s I can totally relate to the tiredness and the tears very very unusual for me but i broke down in my supermarket on thursday was very humiliating for me ,im sure it will pass but as im not an insulin user i cant really advise im sure someone will be along soon to help you out x

Last edited:
thanks steff.... i feel so weak.. the doc said that taking my gliclazide off me would run mt bloods high, i was prepared for that!

its the extreme tiredness and the bruising that concerns me.

ah well, i suppose until the Levemer is right, im going to be a tired and narky biatch lol

thanks steff.... i feel so weak.. the doc said that taking my gliclazide off me would run mt bloods high, i was prepared for that!

its the extreme tiredness and the bruising that concerns me.

ah well, i suppose until the Levemer is right, im going to be a tired and narky biatch lol

my OH says it is not unusual for me but mixed with my monthlys im 10x worse 😛

I haven't had a problem with Levemir... as you get used to injecting your technique will become better, after 7 years on insulin I can still bruise sometimes. This is the way I have always injected:
Most people pinch up a fold of skin and insert the needle at a 90? angle to the skin fold. To pinch your skin properly, follow these steps:

Squeeze a couple of inches of skin between your thumb and two fingers, pulling the skin and fat away from the underlying muscle. (If you use a 5 millimeter mini-pen needle to inject, you don't have to pinch up the skin when injecting at a 90? angle; with this shorter needle, you don't have to worry about injecting into muscle.)

Insert the needle.

Hold the pinch so the needle doesn't go into the muscle.

Push the plunger (or button if you're using a pen) to inject the insulin.

Release the grip on the skin fold.

Remove the needle from the skin.
Note that not everyone injects at a 90? angle. If you inject into an area of the body that has less fat, you may need to inject at less than a 45? angle, to avoid injecting into a muscle. The angle you should use to insert the syringe or pen needle into your body depends on your body type, the injection site, and the length of the needle that you use. Your healthcare professional can help you determine the right angle of injection for you.

Taken from BD site http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7257

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back