Itchy hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My hands have been itching most of the week and I am trying to think if it is something I have eaten, touched, new soap, etc, etc. Now wondering if it is anything to do with diabetes.

Palm of my hands on the opposite side of my thumb, so the part that touches the desk when using a mouse. Both hands and I can see it is slightly red but no eczema or spots.

Could be heat I suppose but just wondering.

Itchy hands are most often associated with a skin condition or rash. The most common of these being eczema.

This itching could be due to an allergy to something you have come into contact with. Common allergy causing agents are household detergents,washing soloution or soap,have you recently changed any of those? x

Given the position / contact with computer mouse, I'd guess it's due to heat / sweat. I've had similar itching on hands, feet and knees since childhood, long before diabetes - particularly when covered by clothes or footwear or in contact with impermeable material eg wearing plastic goves for nursing care or lab work.
What I found helped was rinsing hands, in addition to washing, rinsing & drying carefully after loo trips.
(Off topic, but connected: As a child, there was definitely an additional connection with eating chocolate, as I inherited a slight allergy from my dad - not that it stopped either of us eating chocolate totally, although we both preferred good Swiss chocolate, born of a love of Dad's Swiss uncle / my great uncle Werner, and several visits to Switzerland and Swiss Centre in London over the years.)

Thanks, I was wondering about sweaty palms etc but then wondered if related to diabetes.

Ah well, back to trying to figure out what has changed.

If you have a wrist rest that would keep your hand off the table and stop it getting sweaty. My doctor has given me Diprobase for mild rashes and it does help.

I get it some times. I find it helps to wash my hands with plain water and dry them with a tissue or paper hankies and then rub in a little ansceptic cream. If it gets any worse see the doctor

Marg, the itchy palm thing could be related to your thyroid, I see you are on thyroxin.

Ah, hadn't thought of the thyroid issue.

Still wondering what could be causing it and not really coming up with an answer.

I need to go back to doc anyway so will mention the itchy hands.

Thanks.

Hope all goes well with the doc. In our family itchy hands is a sign for lots of money. Right hand for paying out and left hand for banking a tidy sum.

Same here Caroline but I can never remember which way round it is!!!

So, I could be due to win the lottery but get sued and have to pay it all out?? LOL

We alway remeber it as right for shaking and left for taking. When you meet some one for the first time you shake right hands and at award ceremonies you are sahking with the right while taking awards/certifcates etc... withthe left.

Oh, I might even remember that one.

Thank you - see, never too old to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back