Itching

Knittingpattern

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed with type 2 in April this year. Metformin 500mg begun start of May.lost a stone in weight. Increased dose to 1000mg this month. I want to know when the itching will stop in private areas. Tried so many creams i could open a chemist.

@Knittingpattern welcome to the forum. I was diagnosed at the end of July and started metformin in mid August with dose increasing by one tablet each week until I was taking four tablets starting a week ago. Mine was slow release. It affected my bowels from bunging up to the runs but definitely no itching. However, knowing it was being reduced from today the last three days were trouble free.
I know someone posted recently and was having trouble having changed to slow release. Even different brands of same medicine can be different.
Did the itching start when the dose doubled? Could it be other medications or creams causing the problem? Was there a particular change that caused your medication to be doubled? I knew initial plan was for me to have 4 tablets but it was introduced over 4 weeks.
I had a medication change today. My metformin has halved and I am taking an SGLT2 once a day which means your wee increases and will include sugar. I have been warned I may get uti and or thrush. Is it possible you are excreting sugar and have you thought of checking with your doctor or diabetes nurse?
Good luck. I may end up with a similar problem so will view the answers.

Last edited:
I don't think this is a side effect of Metformin. Could be a fungal infection?
How is your blood sugar? If it's high you might be peeing out glucose which can make you more liable to fungal infections.

It is most likely to be thrush which is a yeast infection and yeast love a sugary environment so if you blood glucose is high then it is likely that you are excreting excess glucose in your urine.
The pharmacist should be able to advise you which combination of medication you will need Canesten combo of a pessary and oral meds may be needed.
But making sure your diet is not too carb heavy so as to reduce your blood glucose.
Some people find cranberry capsules helpful as they contain D-mannose which prevents the organisms from attaching to the urinary tract.
Metformin is only helping the body use to insulin it produces and reduced the release of glucose by the liver but diet is as, if not more important.

@Leadinglights Ive never had Thrush but in talking through my new medication i get the impression the sugar/glucose environment makes it inevitable. The leaflet with the medication even makes it clear how to wash and clean the area effectively. I hope i buck the trend.

Diagnosed with type 2 in April this year. Metformin 500mg begun start of May.lost a stone in weight. Increased dose to 1000mg this month. I want to know when the itching will stop in private areas. Tried so many creams i could open a chemist.
If you google itching and diabetes you will find it is a common symptom, not necessarily related to any particular medication but to high blood glucose. If my BGs are just slightly higher than usual I sometimes experience itching, usually around my torso. Reducing BGs may be enough to eliminate it, unless it is thrush when you may need more help.

So, so, so much sympathy. It's awful. I always say I was asymptomatic before I was diagnosed but, actually, I have had really dry skin/ eczema for years which got so much worse over the last few years (including intimate itching that is definitely not thrush). As with many, many things at this phase in my life, I don't know if it's been worsened by menopause or diabetes or both!
Dr Google suggests that what I have might be Intertrigo (I'd not heard of it before but guess what: risk factor, diabetes) so an attempt will be made to get a GP appointment in case I need a presciption cream.
Edited to add that I'm not (and haven't been) on any meds for my diabetes so I know it's not a side effect for me.
I hope you figure it out and get some relief soon.

@Knittingpattern welcome to the forum. I was diagnosed at the end of July and started metformin in mid August with dose increasing by one tablet each week until I was taking four tablets starting a week ago. Mine was slow release. It affected my bowels from bunging up to the runs but definitely no itching. However, knowing it was being reduced from today the last three days were trouble free.
I know someone posted recently and was having trouble having changed to slow release. Even different brands of same medicine can be different.
Did the itching start when the dose doubled? Could it be other medications or creams causing the problem? Was there a particular change that caused your medication to be doubled? I knew initial plan was for me to have 4 tablets but it was introduced over 4 weeks.
I had a medication change today. My metformin has halved and I am taking an SGLT2 once a day which means your wee increases and will include sugar. I have been warned I may get uti and or thrush. Is it possible you are excreting sugar and have you thought of checking with your doctor or diabetes nurse?
Good luck. I may end up with a similar problem so will view the answers.
Hi when the itching began 3 weeks into first taking metformin I spoke to a doctor he said I might be allergic so told me to stop taking them. It took over a month to speak to someone at surgery to try to get a replacement. I even went there but literally no one could see me. I eventually spoke to diabetes nurse and agreed to try again. The plan was always to get to 2 a day. Which I am now doing along with diet swaps. She said it was my body secreting sugar as I also had a rash on torso. I am convinced now it must be my diet but I have swapped out so much I am at a loss at what else to do.

@Knittingpattern poor you. I had an intensely itchy arm a week after diagnosis but before medication. I am mildly allergic to insect bites and I had some bites on my arm. If it happens I take antihistamine but this time it was intensely itchy.
My blood sugar started at 69 at start of July and last week was 58 hopefully it will continue downward.
Do you want to share your reading at diagnosis and if it has reduced?
Intense itching must be so stressful. It seems unlikely to be thrush after all this time or you would have other symptoms, though I have never had thrush but my sister has.
I don't know if antihistamine would help but is worth taking advice from a pharmacist.

Well done on your weight loss.
What food items are you struggling with either because you miss them or something you are now eating reluctantly.

I'm not suggesting that it is a STI but there are usually walk in clinics so you could see somebody quickly and see if they can give you a diagnosis and some advice.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing uncomfortable itching @Knittingpattern

Hope you get some relief soon - it can be such a wearying symptom to have :(

Do you monitor your own levels at home? That might give you some helpful clues as to how your body is coping with your current menu, and whether there are particular meals or snacks it might be struggling with?

You can get a home glucose meter fairly affordably, and by checking levels immediately before and 2hrs after the first bite of a meal, and comparing the two readings to see what the 'meal rise' is, you can get some handy pointers on possible portion reduction, or swaps/tweaks. Ideally you'd want a rise of 2-3mmol/L or less at the 2hr mark.

The most affordable and reliable meters members here have found are the SD Gluco Navii, the Spirit Tee2, or the Contour Blue - which all have test strips at around £10 for 50. Some other brands can be 3x that much!

It might also help you identify whether raised glucose levels are part of the cause of your itchiness. The 'renal threshold', where kidneys flush out excess glucose in urine is generally above 10.0mmol/L, so if your levels are consistently below that it may be less likely that your itches are due to a sugary urinary environment (unless you are taking certain meds)

Hope you are able to get some relief from your itching soon.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing uncomfortable itching @Knittingpattern

Hope you get some relief soon - it can be such a wearying symptom to have :(

Do you monitor your own levels at home? That might give you some helpful clues as to how your body is coping with your current menu, and whether there are particular meals or snacks it might be struggling with?

You can get a home glucose meter fairly affordably, and by checking levels immediately before and 2hrs after the first bite of a meal, and comparing the two readings to see what the 'meal rise' is, you can get some handy pointers on possible portion reduction, or swaps/tweaks. Ideally you'd want a rise of 2-3mmol/L or less at the 2hr mark.

The most affordable and reliable meters members here have found are the SD Gluco Navii, the Spirit Tee2, or the Contour Blue - which all have test strips at around £10 for 50. Some other brands can be 3x that much!

It might also help you identify whether raised glucose levels are part of the cause of your itchiness. The 'renal threshold', where kidneys flush out excess glucose in urine is generally above 10.0mmol/L, so if your levels are consistently below that it may be less likely that your itches are due to a sugary urinary environment (unless you are taking certain meds)

Hope you are able to get some relief from your itching soon.
Medication can be an issue, 1 penicillin based antibiotic instantly gives me thrush.

Back