itching canulas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natalie123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, I am having problems with my canulas becoming very itchy. They are usually ok for about 1 day but after that they become really itchy and I need to change them every 1-2 days but they should last 2-3 days. Does any one else have this problem?

I left one in for 2 1/2 - 3 days and ended up with an infection where the canula was. What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried many different types of sets? Does it look like a reaction to the sticky? If you are using teflon and it seems to be the 'cannula' part rather than the sticky bit could you ask your DSN for a sample of a steel one?

Have only tried the one type so far - apparently its plastic not teflon. I think it is a bit of both - the canula and the sticky! Steel sounds a bit scary to me but I guess it is worth a try

Have only tried the one type so far - apparently its plastic not teflon. I think it is a bit of both - the canula and the sticky! Steel sounds a bit scary to me but I guess it is worth a try

Hi Natalie,
Steel cannulas I had the same 😱 thoughts but once tried found out they are fine so don't worry about that side of things.

Itch from sticky? Then ask for a prescription of Cavilon spray. Make sure it's the spray and not the cream. Cavilon is a barrier spray and stops the itch 🙂

Thanks Sue, will look into the spray

Are you using Flexlink or Tenderlink, Natalie?

Tenderlink Jenny. They wanted me to start on them because there is less chance of the canula bending, but I can swap later if I want to.

I can get max 48 hours out of my cannulas. I am trying some steel cannulas to see if these are any better. If not then I will just change them more often.

I can get max 48 hours out of my cannulas. I am trying some steel cannulas to see if these are any better. If not then I will just change them more often.

Hi Nikki,
make sure you do not use the steel cannulas for more than 48 hours due to scar tissue build up.

I use the steel ones Natalie....couldn't get on with the teflon ones. Found inserting the steel ones easier than the teflon loading device too! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back