it may just be me but sometimes I find my teams advice a little off(i know i shouldn't be questioning things)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
so sometimes on my team, they say things and after reading posts on here I quite doubtfully like I just had a phone call with my nurse didn't seem to bothered much that I was getting a jump in even like 15. and 16. equally. tried to explain I quite a jump from the 2-hour mark after tea which is sometimes( or around where it is and tea) then said that properly means with my tea. but I said if round it. said I sttugellying to keep sugars below 10 this week but shes not seeing that as a problem

i get dobuftfull because i sometimes the advise i see on here is sujests otherwise and on my group.

also sometimes thier avise seems a bit condictory sometimes

Are those numbers off a sensor or finger prick? Sensors are often less accurate out of range so whilst you may be higher than target it may not be as high as that. In an ideal world you match insulin to carbs and get the timing right so that you don’t get a big spike post meal but even with a spike after a meal if you are back in target after 4-5 hours then it’s not so bad. Diabetes management is often about getting it mostly right and then seeing what you can tweak and everyone has a different level of effort they’re willing to expend to get tighter control. You can still get a good enough HBA1C while being over target but tighter control will give even better protection from long term complications.

If you are high 2 hours after a meal but back in target 4-5 hours after than look at the timing of your injection. It can also be what you’re eating. Adding fat and protein can slow down carbs so trying to eat a balanced diet helps.

And yes advice can be contradictory. Partly because not everything works for everyone.

Are those numbers off a sensor or finger prick? Sensors are often less accurate out of range so whilst you may be higher than target it may not be as high as that. In an ideal world you match insulin to carbs and get the timing right so that you don’t get a big spike post meal but even with a spike after a meal if you are back in target after 4-5 hours then it’s not so bad. Diabetes management is often about getting it mostly right and then seeing what you can tweak and everyone has a different level of effort they’re willing to expend to get tighter control. You can still get a good enough HBA1C while being over target but tighter control will give even better protection from long term complications.

If you are high 2 hours after a meal but back in target 4-5 hours after than look at the timing of your injection. It can also be what you’re eating. Adding fat and protein can slow down carbs so trying to eat a balanced diet helps.

And yes advice can be contradictory. Partly because not everything works for everyone.
these are finger pricks. the reason is that I'm ill at the moment though. i usually find myself corectied in with backfast and lunch by dinner its okay but then shoots back up in evening. i did go low the other day after dinner though.

its just what she was saying is going agiast official advice of stick day rules as well I really not sure why she seeing as stugle to get this going up to 16 plus as a problem, she said she would only be concerned if I had ketones or I was going up to 29 which I feel is just a bit wrong

She’s not wrong per se. High glucose numbers are a sign of something not right but being at 16 knowing you’re ill and without ketones isn’t a worry. Do look at adding fast insulin to your bolus (10% is usually the go to but your team may have you on a different amount).

What she means about concern is when to go to hospital not that you know you’re fighting higher numbers.

She’s not wrong per se. High glucose numbers are a sign of something not right but being at 16 knowing you’re ill and without ketones isn’t a worry. Do look at adding fast insulin to your bolus (10% is usually the go to but your team may have you on a different amount).

What she means about concern is when to go to hospital not that you know you’re fighting higher numbers.
ive been stuggling to stay below 10 all week. . although did still the other week. the high numbers I'm seeing are very high for me thought things better this morning but found slef correcting with tea hopefully not much of but enough. my corrections seemed to be doing nothing with backfast in the beginning of the week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back