It is creepy crawly season again

mikeydt1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The season has just begun went in to the kitchen a few times and then i felt like there was something there and there it was a spider and a giant one at that.

well as a guy with a hidden nasty streak well more big scaredy cat i thought of many ways of getting this thing and i am sorry to say i got the grabbers but one leg came off so with that got a cloth and chucked it outside. don't think i have ever seen a spider going around in circles.

a friendly warning to any more bugs coming in here next time i will put the cooker ring on and cook it :mad: or may be i will do a Bear grylls and eat the thing alive :rolleyes: not sure about that one. :)

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Use glass or plastic tub, cover spider then wait for it to crawl inside then slide piece of cardboard paper over opening. Always return spiders to garden, hate killing them for no reason, would leave them alone but wife hates them & is petrified at thought of them being anywhere near.

Last few years been putting insect mesh on windows to keep fly's out, do hate those things as they get on food, mesh does job of keeping them out while windows are wide open, good investment.

Andy HB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I always greet my 'Freds' warmly with a friendly wave. :)

I agree with the mesh on windows though. We replaced our windows a few years ago and they came with integrated mesh that you can pull down or leave up as required. Works really nicely.

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Use glass or plastic tub, cover spider then wait for it to crawl inside then slide piece of cardboard paper over opening. Always return spiders to garden, hate killing them for no reason, would leave them alone but wife hates them & is petrified at thought of them being anywhere near.

Last few years been putting insect mesh on windows to keep fly's out, do hate those things as they get on food, mesh does job of keeping them out while windows are wide open, good investment.
I have every sympathy with your wife, I can't even watch them on television, I have to cover my eyes. I nearly crashed the car once because one lowered itself down from behind the sun visor. Horrors!!!!

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
What's this about Freds?? Everone knows that all spiders are called Harry - a little boy used to tell us all that on telly years ago, he had a matchbox, and we were informed that he hadn't told his mum yet that Today is Harry the Spider's coming out day.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have every sympathy with your wife, I can't even watch them on television, I have to cover my eyes. I nearly crashed the car once because one lowered itself down from behind the sun visor. Horrors!!!!

Wife's same mate, looks away from tv. Same happen to her when driving car, must be fav hiding place for them.

Paulbreen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The window mesh is a great think, we live near a farmyard and flies can get terrible in the summer, we have an chain mesh thing over the patio door which is always open during the summer so the dog can go out to his pool.
I also have an Arachnophobic in the house who freaks out at anything loosely resembling a spider, I do carefully catch them in a glass and put them in the garden but I wish she would let them stay in the house

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I don’t understand why folk are scared of spiders. They pose no threat to us - they only come indoors for a warm, and if there aren’t any flies around outside for brekkie. With the weather warming up, they would thank you not to squidge them, but put them safely outside. After all, the bigger ones are garden spiders. The reason why they are wandering around is looking for an escape route - give them one.

I have a carnivorous house plant to cope with flies. Works rather well.

Spozkins

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ooohhj don't be frying them. They're very important for us in the great scheme of things and really - why are you scared if them?

I found becoming interested in them really helped me overcome my fear. That way you can easily catch them in a glass and pop them outside if nessecary, or like me, make friends with them and allow em to keep the house nice and pest free.

Spozkins

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I don’t understand why folk are scared of spiders. They pose no threat to us - they only come indoors for a warm, and if there aren’t any flies around outside for brekkie. With the weather warming up, they would thank you not to squidge them, but put them safely outside. After all, the bigger ones are garden spiders. The reason why they are wandering around is looking for an escape route - give them one.

I have a carnivorous house plant to cope with flies. Works rather well.
Most spiders in our homes actually spend their lives indoors and only 5% of them are 'outdoors spiders. The rest are usually living unnoticed all year around in nooks and crannies and come out occasionally to mate.

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Buy yourself a small dog. A friend of mine has a Westie who he just picks up and points at the spider. Westie obligingly scoffs it! I just let them alone, in fact I quite enjoy watching them trundle around ;)

mikeydt1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
was watching a FB video this morning where a cyclist in another country only ended up with a a very large tarantula climbing up his bare legs then on to his bottom, it then got a bit upset so he flicked it off that would of been a bit of painful area to get nipped in.

i put a comment on it but can't mention it on here.