It’s time for female NHS leaders to unleash their power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The value of having women on corporate boards is lost because women are encouraged to behave like men to get there. Our focus needs to move away from monitoring the number of women on boards, to supporting women to be great, authentic leaders.

FTSE 100 companies are continuing their efforts to shift the needle in terms of achieving greater gender balance at board level. The motivation of FTSE companies to increase the number of women on their boards is to improve their performance and counter accusations of board homogeneity. The banking regulator described, for example, the board of the failing Royal Bank of Scotland as lacking in challenge, diversity of thought and personality. Similar to the argument for more women, the same claim could be applied to age and ethnicity.

More and more evidence shows that gender balance on boards improves financial and quality performance and delivers return on investment. Examples include a study of the Fortune 500 companies, and one from the Credit Suisse research institute which analysed the performance of 2,360 companies globally.

http://www.theguardian.com/healthcare-network/2014/nov/07/female-nhs-leaders-karen-castille

Yeah - I served on a body representing over 10k people, and was 'famous' for being the one who asked what to me was the 'obvious' question. Excuse me but why? .... or Hang on a minute ... or I may be thick but could you explain that?

Inevitably a chorus of agreement from all the blokes would follow, but THEY never asked.

And if you don't ask and get a straight answer then if there are 15 people, there are 15 different assumptions as to why 'they' want to do whatever.

You can't run anything unless you all (or most of you) are working towards the same place and for the same reasons.

I think ladies especially those with families, are much more likely to do this - eg look for ways to introduce something that will inevitably be unpopular with someone, yet still keep the peace. Not ignore those people and let their subversive - anti - tendencies go underground. Dangerous ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back