It’s the little things

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahb83

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Since being diagnosed in September one of the things I’ve wanted most was beans on toast, simple and boring I know but sometimes it’s quite silly what I miss. Finally got the courage last night and omg it was amazing!! 2 slices whole meal bread 1/2 tin baked beans, grated cheese and smoked sausage. Bg 5.9 before and 6.2 after

I hear you @sarahb83, I used to love beans on buttered toast. I've promised myself I'll reintroduce bread to my diet when I've hit my target weight, and not before then, so I can see a steaming plate of beans on toast as an incentive to keep going on my diet, lol. It's not haute cuisine, but it's something I'm looking forward to having again.
You sound like you're doing really well to get such a tiny rise in BG. Hats off to you for your hard work,
Sarah

Oh I’m not there yet either I’ve still got another 2 st to go my weight loss seems to have stalled but my nurse said it was going to happen sooner later and to just keep going cos it will come off in the end lol I’ve lost 7 st in total 2 before I was diagnosed and 5 since September but still got that last 2 to go which is proving ridiculously stubborn

You've done so well, I hope you're proud of yourself.
I've also got 2 stone to lose, I try not to stress myself over it, I've lost about 3 stone, if I gently, slowly, lose the rest, it's a win. Even if I don't manage to lose it all, I'm in a much better place than I was, and I'm thankful for that, BP and BG both a lot happier than prediagnosis.
Keep going, you can do it. I know it's a slog but you can get there, Sarah

I think having a little something you really want is good for the soul! Your weight loss is amazing @sarahb83, and a treat is well deserved. It's making sure that it stays a treat that's the hard thing, but I'm sure you have that well under control since you've managed your weight so well.

@Windy, top marks for that attitude. Wish I'd done that so I wasn't so darned baggy now! 🙄

I can relate to the beans on wholemeal toast with butter as a treat. So basic biut so yum!
I am fortunate in that I could inject insulin to cover it but my problem is that it is a slippery slope for me with all those carbs as the more I get, the more I want and I can't cope with the upheaval of the cravings over the following days and I could so easily slip back to my previous very high carb diet that I am wary of even attempting beans on toast. Bread I find is one of those things that really causes me aggravation and my body is rather too efficient at extracting carbs from beans and lentils. I might do the experiment one day when my levels are already naff so that I have nothing to lose rather than now when things are relatively stable.

Oh I’m not there yet either I’ve still got another 2 st to go my weight loss seems to have stalled but my nurse said it was going to happen sooner later and to just keep going cos it will come off in the end lol I’ve lost 7 st in total 2 before I was diagnosed and 5 since September but still got that last 2 to go which is proving ridiculously stubborn
you are amazing Sarah 🙂

A confession, I had three bites of Him Indoors' calzone pizza yesterday. Almost religious experience..... cheese crispy pizza base, peperoni..... but I will now stick to peperoni omlettes and be good from now on

Er well ........ if the calzone had a really truly crispy base (as indeed it should!) - would it actually have been that high carb? And of course, the cheese always slows down the carb.

Since being diagnosed in September one of the things I’ve wanted most was beans on toast, simple and boring I know but sometimes it’s quite silly what I miss. Finally got the courage last night and omg it was amazing!! 2 slices whole meal bread 1/2 tin baked beans, grated cheese and smoked sausage. Bg 5.9 before and 6.2 after
But the big question, should the cheese be put on the toast and then the beans on top or should the cheese be sprinkled on top of the beans? I prefer thinly sliced cheese underneath the beans.

You're all so amazing! The weightloss, the blood sugar control... I was reading your signatures in awe at what you've all accomplished.

Thank you all for being so very inspiring!

wanted to share! So yesterday I had another first since being diagnosed - my first Chinese take away I was so hesitant that it’s taken me this long but my dad also a type 2 said have you tried this one and ringed something in the menu to be fair it’s nothing I would have ever looked at before and he said the only way to know how it affect you is to try it so I did - chicken and prawns in spring onion and garlic superior soya sauce, before diagnosis me and my husband would have shared one meal but I had this totally on my own which felt a bit wrong kinda like I was being greedy but I didn’t have anything with it no rice, chips or noodles and I have to say though I’d have never picked it on my own it was absolutely lovely

Wonderful @sarahb83

Glad your treats are working out so well for you 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back