Issues with cannulas

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlygirl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have had to change pump as the Roche Insight was withdrawn. I chose the ypsopump. The pump is not as good as the Insight in my opinion because there are several features missing but overall it is ok and I am sure I will get used to it.
The problem I am having is the cannulas. I started on the soft orbit ones but found them painful compared to the roche ones. Ypsomed really helpful and sent some inset ones. First 2 I thought were good, much more comfortable etc.
However I have since had 2 that have bent completely on insertion. There is no sign to look at them that it has not inserted so only found out when blood sugars risen very fast. Also a different one that did insert properly came off in the night. I did not know until I woke up feeling high and tested to find it was 20+.
In over 7 years of roche cannulas I had less incidents of bent and failed cannulas than I have had in 3 weeks of new ones.
All the cannulas are soft, short ones.
I do not know why they are bending when inserting them and it is disappointing as it is making diabetes more rather than less if you know what I mean...
The orbit one has a steel version but that is the type that is painful and the inset one is only the soft one but I've always used soft cannulas and they have been ok.
Any idea why they are not going in sometimes...

Get Outlook for Android

Cannulas and absorption issues are the major weakness of pumps and I hate it! Sorry you’ve been having problems @curlygirl In your situation, I’d watch some videos on YouTube just to reassure yourself you’re inserting them ok; I’d order more different types of cannulas to try (don’t pre-judge - they vary between pumps, so what type is good with one manufacturer might be bad with another or vice versa); I’d also consider trying a different body area.

Thanks for reply. I have watched video on youtube as wondered if I was doing it correct, but it looks ok and sometimes they are not bending and sometimes they are and they are inserted the same. I shall ring ypsomed and see if they've got any ideas or suggestions.

@curlygirl Are you using an inserter? If so, could you try doing it by hand? I never use inserters as I feel they’re a bit of a scattergun approach and you can be more accurate and gentler by hand (maybe less chance of bending?)

I do use an inserter. A built in one with insets...they are the ones that are bending some of the time...a separate inserter with the orbit ones. I always have used an inserter with the insight and that was ok, but something to look at. Hopefully be able to talk to ypsomed for suggestions soon. Thanks for reply.

I do use an inserter. A built in one with insets...they are the ones that are bending some of the time...a separate inserter with the orbit ones. I always have used an inserter with the insight and that was ok, but something to look at. Hopefully be able to talk to ypsomed for suggestions soon. Thanks for reply.

The built in inserters are often the worst. There’s no need for inserters for most people. A cynic would say they exist in order to make more money. AccuChek pumps themselves didn’t used to have inserters and there was no issue with the cannulas at all.

I know it’s a nuisance to unpick the self-inserting ones to try manually but it’s worth a go. I’d also see if there were other sets. Often there’s one that was on the bottom of your list when you looked but actually works well. The sets and cannulas can differ so much between pumps, even ones that are ostensibly similar. The cannulas are one of the main things I look at when I choose a new pump because they’re so crucial. I hope you get it sorted. Do update this thread if so as it will be a help to anyone having similar problems.

I have the same problem with inset cannulas and bending. I was changed from Roche insight to ypsomed as well. started with orbit soft but kept getting occlusions and air bubbles in the tubing plus there were supply issues so the offered me the insets. I preferred these, not so bulky and all in one kit. They were ok to start with but I’m now having constant problems. This morning I inserted one but minutes later it fell out. On inspection it was bent. So I ultra carefully did another one and it seemed ok. Then my bloods started to rise and corrections did nothing. As soon as I could I replaced the whole infusion set with an orbit soft. Yet again the cannula on the inset was bent in half yet I was so careful. It’s very frustrating not to mention the supply issues to. Like you say Curlygirl, it’s hard enough being diabetic without this.

When I wrote the original post about the cannulas it was more than a year ago @Missie and since then I have given up using the all in one insets as I could not rely on them going in every time. To be honest it had got to about equal between ones that worked really well and ones that did not work at all...
I have been using the micro orbit short cannulas for approx year.
These are fine. Still do not like them as much as the roche ones from before but they do the job and are comfortable. I had thought the metal ones would hurt but they do not and they are much better at going in with the reusable inserter and have not failed many times. Ask if you can try a box, customer service is good and hopefully you can get more reliability back. They are so quick to put in compared to the insets and the wait to see if the inset had gone in or if the cannula had bent and my blood was rising a lot is definitely not something I miss.
At first I did not really like the ypsopump as much as the pump I had used but now I like it very much.
Hope you can get some metal cannulas to try and they work for you.

Thankyou for your reply. I will give them a try. Assuming they have stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back