Is this what I should expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryP

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’m type 2 on Gliclazide 320 per day and have been increased withn Metformin to 2000 per day. I have noticed my levels are dropping into Hypo territory and have another thread around this subject, but what I noticed today is that I went for a 10-minute walk of 0.5 miles. I measured by levels before setting off and they were 9.4, but when I got back (after 10 minutes) I measured again and they had dropped to 5.0 (a 4.4 drop). Without knowing the answer to my question this seems to be a massive drop and worries me that I started the walk thinking that everything was Rosie and I had good levels, but a bit longer of a walk could have taken me into a Hypo if it continued to drop at that rate. So back to my original question…. Is this what I should expect?

Thanks as always.

Was this after a meal? If the 9.4 was maybe an hour after a meal, then the drop to 5 could be down to insulin bringing your levels down, rather than the walk. If it wasn't after a meal then to my mind, if you are dropping that much from a 10 min walk, then you are possibly over medicated and they need to be reducing your Gliclazide doses.

It is really important to ensure that you have hypo treatments with you at all times when taking Gliclazide.

Was this after a meal? If the 9.4 was maybe an hour after a meal, then the drop to 5 could be down to insulin bringing your levels down, rather than the walk. If it wasn't after a meal then to my mind, if you are dropping that much from a 10 min walk, then you are possibly over medicated and they need to be reducing your Gliclazide doses.

It is really important to ensure that you have hypo treatments with you at all times when taking Gliclazide.
Hi, thanks for the response. My last meal was at 8am so 4 hours before the walk (apart from a handful of peanuts mid-morning) so I suspect as well that it is the increase in the Metformin that is playing up with the Gliclazide. I'm going to take myself off the double dose of Metformin in the mornings as my DB Nurse won't be speaking with me until next Wednesday :-(

When I was on even the Slow Release Gliclazide, I got hypos, the drop was often quick.

Metformin won't cause a sudden drop like it. It just doesn't work that way.

Are you on slow release gliclazide?

Metformin won't cause a sudden drop like it. It just doesn't work that way.

Are you on slow release gliclazide?
Gliclazide 80mg tablets - 112 tablet - Two To Be Taken Twice A Day With Food + Metformin 500mg tablets - 84 tablet - Take TWO Tablet Breakfast And One With Evening Meal. I can't see anything around slow release. The thing is I have been on Gliclazide for over a year with no problem, I have also been on the combination of Gliclazide and Metformin for about 4 months with no problems until they double dosed the Metformin starting last week. As as foot-note, I actually dropped to 4.1 within 30 minutes of getting home from the walk and measuring at 5.0

Hi. A 320mg dose of Gliclazide is the max dose and is the most likely cause of your low BS together with the walking. Metformin is unlikely to be causing it. You may need to reduce the dose or have some carbs just before you walk.

Just out of interest (and I'm not seeking medical advice from anyone) but what would the impact of double dosing the Metformin 2000mg to per day and halving the Gliclazide to 160mg per day. Would it balance itself out and be less likely to drop me into low BS?

Just out of interest (and I'm not seeking medical advice from anyone) but what would the impact of double dosing the Metformin 2000mg to per day and halving the Gliclazide to 160mg per day. Would it balance itself out and be less likely to drop me into low BS?
It would be safest (and most common) to take the maximum amount of metformin, and the lowest amount of gliclazide needed to manage bgs yes. That’s because metformin doesn’t cause dangerous hypos, whilst gliclazide can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back