Is this normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrowman

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Last year I had three CT scans, four MRI scans, four Endoscopies and two meetings with my DN all at my local
hospital, now the thing is my doctor is not aware of any of these let alone any of the results.

So the question is, is this the standard practice that all hospitals follow? or is it just mine!!

Just part of the wondrous lottery that is "Our NHS"

Earlier this year I took part in a detailed medical trial looking at heart disease markers in T2 and exT2 diabetics.

The hospital the trials were conducted at sent a very complete letter to my surgery and to me.

Have any of the results been included in my medical records... nope not one.

So the question is, is this the standard practice that all hospitals follow?
No, of course not. Your GP should be sent the results (or in the case of the DSN a summary of the meetings) and you should receive a copy. I've no idea what's gone wrong in your case.

Both of the Consultants that my other half sees, gastro and urology send a letter to the GP after every appointment or procedure and also sends him a copy but only some seem to get put on the NHS records he can access.

Interesting comments, thank you all. I have an appointment with my diabetes doctor on the 3rd of February and I will raise this subject with him/her. I didn't even know I had a diabetes DR until I had a letter booking me
in at the hospital for a review. I might just give my surgery a call tomorrow as well.

Last year I had three CT scans, four MRI scans, four Endoscopies and two meetings with my DN all at my local
hospital, now the thing is my doctor is not aware of any of these let alone any of the results.

So the question is, is this the standard practice that all hospitals follow? or is it just mine!!
Standard practice is to send GPs a letter after clinic appointments. However I often find that clinics don't bother to send the referrer a letter if the referrer was someone other than GP... The letters would usually be a summary so may not detail all of the scans but would usually reference them

Where they all clear?
Was anything at all sent to your GP about the outcome of the investigation?

Thanks, @42istheanswer
The problem I have is that should I need some sort of medication from my Dr would he know what medication I have been prescribed by the hospital, would what the DR prescribes be compatible with my other medication? It all seems a bit sloppy to me
On the plus side when I had my four endoscopies I was given a copy of the report, including photos of the infected area and had the results explained to me so that I understood it before I left - Brilliant.

Where they all clear?
Was anything at all sent to your GP about the outcome of the investigation?
Hi @travellor the endoscopies were checking on an ulcer and an infection I had in my stomach, see my last post for the results.
As far as the CT's and MRI's I have absolutely no idea, the hospital promised me after I have phoned them on numerous occasions that they would send me a copy of the results but none ever arrive. My DR also has not any information either - at least that's what he tells me.

Hospital should definitely write to inform GP if they prescribe medication @Barrowman, particularly if you are supposed to continue taking it as then GP should continue the prescription between hospital appointments, but if you always use the same pharmacy then they will conduct additional checks (and can also ask them to double check there aren't contraindications for one med when taking another). Pharmacists are the experts in medication interactions, more so than GPs.

Hi @travellor the endoscopies were checking on an ulcer and an infection I had in my stomach, see my last post for the results.
As far as the CT's and MRI's I have absolutely no idea, the hospital promised me after I have phoned them on numerous occasions that they would send me a copy of the results but none ever arrive. My DR also has not any information either - at least that's what he tells me.

It sounds like the hospital is being very slow.

As with others, I've always had a letter to the GP with a copy to myself. The fact that neither is happening makes me wonder if they have the correct details? My ex recently attended a private hospital working for the NHS. I then started receiving letters for her that were actually for another patient with the same name. So confidential patient details being sent to both the wrong patient AND the wrong address! Would be worth double-checking with them.

Hospital should definitely write to inform GP if they prescribe medication @Barrowman, particularly if you are supposed to continue taking it.
My three hospital prescriptions were just one-offs for my ulcer, but when my DN gave me my finger prick tester my DR was notified so they are now on repeat prescription.

As with others, I've always had a letter to the GP with a copy to myself. The fact that neither is happening makes me wonder if they have the correct details.
Good point @RBZ5416 I will check that out, thanks.

no, sounds to me like the hospital doing those tests either do not have a record of your local gp and there's nothing saying they need to be copied into the testing, or the hospital itself expects you to attend the hospital and deal with only a hospital consultant.

My doctor's know when I seen my diabetes team not from a letter it's just there on the. Records. The consultant I've seen in difert city has sent letters.

Thanks, @void and @rayray I can see I'm going to have to do some further investigation with my DR and the hospital on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back