Is this as good as it gets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndasw

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
When I was first diagnosed I felt totally rubbish and couldn't see how I was going to get through another week. Perhaps somewhat naively I assumed that when I got everything under control I would be back to my usual self. Obviously I do feel loads better but I am dismayed that I have so many days when I still don't feel 100% (or even 60% tbh 😱). I feel lucky if I have 5 consecutive days of feeling well. Some days its just a bit of nausea, or feeling really tired, or pressure headaches, aching limbs - some days the whole lot! And I feel really emotional - all the time :( My friend who is type 1 said this is how she has been for years :( so as I said in the title - Is this as good as it gets?

Hi Lynda, I think you will find that, if you stick at it, things will improve further. I would say that it took me around a year to get used to all the changes that diabetes brought - mental and physical. Of course, I still go through periods of malaise, but I suspect I would have done so anyway, diabetes or not, so I'm careful not to lay everything at the door of the 'D'.

Pressure and stress will have been greater over these past few months, whether you realise it or not, so do let go occasionally and give yourself some pampering! 🙂

I find that diabetes control does affect how good I feel, but other things often have more effect eg work, education courses, physical activities & competitions, contact with family & friends, weather, daylight / season etc. Currently on a high, because of success on SLMM (mountain marathon) with brother in law & seeing sister, nieces & parents last weekend; changing main job from full time to 3 days per week last week, contributing to international genetic screening workshop in past 3 days, going to see friend & her son visiting from Strathclyde tomorrow, sunshine etc.
All that over-ruled aching limbs & grazed hand after race, headache from heat & sun, despite mainly keeping hydrated etc. Still get annoyed occasionally at blanket bans on people with type 1 diabetes / anyone using insulin from professional SCUBA diving, working in Antarctica, armed forces service, minibus driving etc.
I find setting reasonable targets is the way to go. Brother in law & I decided to enter Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon when we met at Christmas. Started running more, with Parkruns, orienteering events, orienteering club running group etc. My next aim is to learn to do butterfly stroke by end of this year. Still can't quite believe that I met my partner only a couple of years after diagnosis, and we're still together, with cat, ducks, veg garden, shared love of adventure racing, orienteering, mountain marathons, canoeing / kayaking etc. Aches and pains, recovery times etc are increasing, but I expected things to start aching more once I turned 40 years, with or without diabetes.
I guess the key is not to let feeling less than 100% stop you doing too much.

I totally know how you feel! About six months in, although i felt loads better I never truly felt normal. I only realised this when out with a friend one evening and she asked me if i felt "back to normal now", i replied without having to think on it " that no, i never feel normal in the sense of how i felt before diabetes"

This to me was a realisation that i may never feel normal again. However, 2 and half years down the line, i have to say i feel back to my normal self and my partner has even commented on this over the past 6 months or so. Obviously i still get days where my legs may ache etc, feel particulary tired after work (who doesnt), if i am having a high couple of days or whatever, but generally feel ok and yes i would say back to normal.

Hope this gives you some hope 🙂

I totally know how you feel! About six months in, although i felt loads better I never truly felt normal. I only realised this when out with a friend one evening and she asked me if i felt "back to normal now", i replied without having to think on it " that no, i never feel normal in the sense of how i felt before diabetes"

This to me was a realisation that i may never feel normal again. However, 2 and half years down the line, i have to say i feel back to my normal self and my partner has even commented on this over the past 6 months or so. Obviously i still get days where my legs may ache etc, feel particulary tired after work (who doesnt), if i am having a high couple of days or whatever, but generally feel ok and yes i would say back to normal.

Hope this gives you some hope 🙂
Thank I think maybe it does ... now I think about it, everyone is saying how well I look so maybe feeling it will follow shortly! Also my next Hba1c at the end of the month is my deciding one ..Drugs or no drugs, and a review on my current medication for high blood pressure and high cholesterol ... maybe that needs a bit of fine tuning :D

Things do improve and you will find you have more and more good days. It is alright to feel like the pits with things, it happens to all of here at some time or other. I have just had a month with a chest infection o nly to get a cold and for a good three weeks didn't think things would ever get better. Happily I am now getting over it and feeling better. I have found a good bawl from time to time helps, and some TLC and pampering are the order of the day. I'm sure you will feel better soon, there is light atthe end of the tunnel. It is hard sometimes, but try to be patient with yourself.

I agree with Caroline, Tracy, Copepod and Northy
I'm not sure if it's the same in type 1, i suppose you really do have to think about diabetes several times a day. n the other hand, i guess type 2s get reminders as well, they're just a little different.

I think it does get better Lynda, but slowly and some days will always be better than others.
When i was first diagnosed, i was terrified and didn't know how i'd manage at all. Certain friends assured me that not only would i feel right as rain in no time but i'd probably feel better than i did before i was diagnosed. It certainly didn't improve right away, it probably took about a year for me to feel i was up to the same energy levels that i had been before diagnosis. Yes, and after six months of "are you feeling better now?" and trying to think of a polite and non-insulting way of saying "well, no, seeing as now i have an incurable illness, which is only ever going to get worse and doesn't respond well to alcohol binges or comfort eating, i can't honestly say i'm feeling better, no.What exactly were you expecting me to feel better about?", people stopped asking. Now everytime i'm feeling ill people ask me "is it your diabetes?" as if it causes colds, viruses, stomach pains or headaches...but anyway.
It's been nearly two years, and yes, i think i'm back to a similar level of general well being to what i was 3 years ago, i'm possibly two dress sizes smaller around my waist, and my teeth are probably better, or at least, deteriorating slower, but i'm still waiting for the life changing euphoria to kick in.;-)... Come on, they said i'd feel like a new woman!?!

I suppose that's partially true, i now feel like a new woman who's frustrated because she can't eat what she likes when she likes...grrrrrrr.

What i really want to know is, why isn't loudly exclaming "ummmm yummmy!" when eating cake, sweets or chocolate infront of a type 2 diabetic banned under the Geneva Convention??? ;-)

Rachel

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have always been too impatient ...wanting everything NOW 😱 !

Rachel, you made me smile so much :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back