is this a problem or am I've overreacting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
so I'm ill(i didn't know I was coming down with something at the beginning of the week I was coming down with something I wondered why my blood sugar wasn't behaving and this was). I'm struggling to get below 10 for the most part of the week. and have been seeing 16s(I have been keeping an eye on ketones as I was told to but they're all fine) sometimes. a phone call with a nurse on Thursday apparently it's not a problem but I feel a whole week it is a bit of a problem, am I just over reacting or am I right to be doubtful of the advice?

On and side note can anyone recommend says sugar/carb-free home remedy's my go-to use be hot water with honey and lemon before dingogous i used be there. honey and lemon.

Er...I still have honey and lemon if I come down with something and I even put a slug of whisky in it.
but suger though

but suger though
How much honey are you going to use? I'm guessing a teaspoon or something, which would be 5g or so. So probably not worth worrying about. (I wouldn't suggest you rush out and buy some, but if you happened to have some already and wanted a small amount for flavouring for this sort of reason I wouldn't worry about it.)

Are you correcting @rayray119 ? I find that if I can eat and get some insulin in, I feel better. It sounds like you have a cold. Soup is good. Don’t be afraid to eat ‘sick day foods’ if you don’t fancy proper meals, and remember to keep hydrated.

Are you correcting @rayray119 ? I find that if I can eat and get some insulin in, I feel better. It sounds like you have a cold. Soup is good. Don’t be afraid to eat ‘sick day foods’ if you don’t fancy proper meals, and remember to keep hydrated.
yes icorrect but not before 4 hours(my team have been every stick about that.. only one correction today so far with lunch it was 13.4 before then 2 hours after it was 11. something and down 8.6 before so that's not so bad I guess) yes I actually had chicken soup with lunch hoping it would help.

But insulin though

When you are ill you still eat, sure your ratios might change, but whatever you eat or drink you dose for
yeah i was after somthing i didn't have to have injection for to have between meals 🙂. I'm still eating with insulin

yes icorrect but not before 4 hours(my team have been every stick about that.. only one correction today so far with lunch it was 13.4 before then 2 hours after it was 11. something and down 8.6 before so that's not so bad I guess) yes I actually had chicken soup with lunch hoping it would help.

I’m not going to go against what your team have said about correcting. I’ll just say what helps me when I have a cold and what doesn’t help.

Usually when I’m slightly high, I’ll run up and down the stairs or something to burn off some glucose, or even do chores round the house to keep active, and that will bring my blood sugar down a few points, but with a cold the opposite is true; doing that will put my blood sugar up. It sounds mad but try resting. You might feel you should be up and moving, but that might not be true, like for me.

Also, no drinks like tea can help as can salty things like a few crisps. I hope you feel better soon. Colds are extra-miserable with the silly old diabetes. Don’t let it get to you. Focus on looking after yourself, keeping the ketones away, and correcting according to your plan.

I’m not going to go against what your team have said about correcting. I’ll just say what helps me when I have a cold and what doesn’t help.

Usually when I’m slightly high, I’ll run up and down the stairs or something to burn off some glucose, or even do chores round the house to keep active, and that will bring my blood sugar down a few points, but with a cold the opposite is true; doing that will put my blood sugar up. It sounds mad but try resting. You might feel you should be up and moving, but that might not be true, like for me.

Also, no drinks like tea can help as can salty things like a few crisps. I hope you feel better soon. Colds are extra-miserable with the silly old diabetes. Don’t let it get to you. Focus on looking after yourself, keeping the ketones away, and correcting according to your plan.
yes sorry, i wasn't saying going against that, i have been mostly resting today. was supposed to work today but that wasn;t really going to be an optiten today(unfornittly that mean I lost 8 hours of money though)

It was very sensible to rest 🙂 Can’t you get any sick pay at all?:(

It was very sensible to rest 🙂 Can’t you get any sick pay at all?:(
no as its causel job and shift work it doesn't full under that.

I always have honey in the house. I sometimes drizzle a bit on granola and yoghurt in the morning. I don't see this as an issue as I'm having it with a slower form of carbs. As for the honey and lemon...it's only a teaspoon. I'm not knocking the bottle back.
well i tested and its aparetty its 16.9 maybe it could be lower if blood testers are a bit out on higher ranges as they say. but I don't want to put any sugar in me right now.

At 16.9 mmol a small correction wouldn't hurt
yes my team are verry strict about the whole 4 hours thing though. it doesn't seem to matter the number in their opinion

i probelly dicuss this with them at my next apoiment and say there are times where I'm pretty sure that its not going to return to normal before my next meal and see what they say(I know pumps can take insulin on bored into acorects when correcting)

Using pens we all take insulin onboard into consideration.
i ment it kind of works it out for you and decides what to give you based on that but yes I will try and took my team about correcting before the 4 hours on certain numbers

I actually feel a bit sniffly now but can’t stop myself from working every time I feel a bit sniffly I might never go to work if I did that.

i do still need to get background tests but things keep getting in the way weather that’s life or my body

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back