Is there anyone T2 and NOT overweight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Was just wondering if there are any T2's out there, diet & excercise controlled and who is not overweight? The reason i ask is i am curious to know whether if you are not in the 'overweight / obese' category, how manageable are your BS levels? am just wondering whether it makes much of a difference as we are led to believe that we must lose weight (ie my DN told me that she has seen patients whereby their raised BS levels have 'disappeared' due to their weight loss and change of lifestyle.

I have only met one type 2 who is slim. I think she had reasonable control, but I havem't see her for a while so can't say for certain how she is now.

My OH's old boss is Type 2 (well...the doctors *think* he is) and apparently he's the skinniest rake out there 😱 my grandad is also T2 and not overweight 🙂

I'm type 2 and not overweight, but I am treated with tablets and insulin.

I'm T2, no meds, BMI 23.5. BMI was 30.5 in October last year though. So quite a change from chunky to skinny.

I'm sure the weight loss does help - my 'normal' background levels have lowered with increased weight loss - reduction in insulin resistance I guess. However, the extent of my post-prandial rise remains generally the same and is largely dependent of how carby the meal was.

Alas, not cured - just well controlled.

Im T2 diet and exercise cotrolled. Lost over 4 stones, BMI 30.2ish to 24.5ish due to improved diet and stepping up exercise. BS well controlled (last Hb1Ac 4.3) probably due to improved insulin resistance.

I feel better and am fit again, and enjoy healthy food better than what i used to eat. Go for it - it can be done!

Richard

Im T2 diet and exercise cotrolled. Lost over 4 stones, BMI 30.2ish to 24.5ish due to improved diet and stepping up exercise. BS well controlled (last Hb1Ac 4.3) probably due to improved insulin resistance.

I feel better and am fit again, and enjoy healthy food better than what i used to eat. Go for it - it can be done!

Richard

Oops! should have made it clear that it is possible to reduce BS via diet and exercise, but everyone is different - BS reduction targets vary from person tp person. I consider myself fortunate to achieve such a low Hb1Ac

Richard

Was just wondering if there are any T2's out there, diet & excercise controlled and who is not overweight? The reason i ask is i am curious to know whether if you are not in the 'overweight / obese' category, how manageable are your BS levels? am just wondering whether it makes much of a difference as we are led to believe that we must lose weight (ie my DN told me that she has seen patients whereby their raised BS levels have 'disappeared' due to their weight loss and change of lifestyle.

Ive lost 6 st in weight in 1 year by joining slimming world. my Bs were running at 10 they are now 6, so losing weight has certainly worked for me. hope this helps.

Ive lost 6 st in weight in 1 year by joining slimming world. my Bs were running at 10 they are now 6, so losing weight has certainly worked for me. hope this helps.

Fantastic weight loss, well done :D

my father was thin and had type 2 from the age of about 67 ,this hang up about type 2 being caused by to much weight is bull ,if diabetes runs in a family you will most likely get it, i was warned at an early age by the family doc that i would in all probability show signs in later life ,

I think there is a lot to do with the genetic link and diabetes, i mean some older people who are diagnosed as type 2 go on to becoming fully insulin dependent... I reckon sometimes its a misdiagnosis in regards to the fact that mody and Lada are genetic and progressive diabetes :confused:

How many people do you reckon are diagnosed type 2 but have early stages of Mody or Lada?

My neighbour, who is about 70, was diagnosed last year with Type 2. In every respect he is fit and healthy and currently D&E controlled. He's not overwight, in fact probably ideal weight and very active. In a way I felt sorry for him as there is clearly nothing he can do to improve his insulin resistance beyond what he already does. It has a genetic link in his case as his mother developed diabetes in her 70s.

There is a growing theory that Type 2's link to obesity may be a 'chicken and egg' situation - genetic predisposition makes you insulin resistant, which in turn can lead to weight gain, increasing insulin resistance further - vicious circle. Modifications to diet and activity levels can help to reverse the process as many people have found.

there is also alot of overweight people who arent T2 ....my grandfather had diabetes ...yes i am over weight by 1 stone ..but have been the same size since for over 20 years had 2 children ...most of the wieght is carried by my boobs .. runs in the family ....so what do i do have a reduction ????? as i have said before i was first tested for Diabetes when i was 16 (30yrs ago) then when i was pregnant (16yrs ago) finally they decided i was ...nearly 2 years ago....so really i have been displaying symptons for years but didnt quite hit the mark ....

my father was thin and had type 2 from the age of about 67 ,this hang up about type 2 being caused by to much weight is bull ,if diabetes runs in a family you will most likely get it, i was warned at an early age by the family doc that i would in all probability show signs in later life ,

Excess weight is simply not good for someone with a genetic disposition towards diabetes for several reasons.

From personal experience, I can confirm that losing weight has substantially improved my diabetic symptoms. So much so, that I am currently off all medication and my HbA1c has reduced from 13.3 to 6.2

You are probably right to say that weight on its own does not cause diabetes, but it would be incorrect to say that it doesn't have a significant bearing.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back