is it possible???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sianee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hi everyone!!!
things are going ok. not great but better than they were. 🙂
i have a strange question, is it possible to pay privately to have a pancreas transplant??? my initial thought was no as surely if they did that hundreds of type 1's would have had it done already but i just want to be sure, if there is any thing like it i would love to know!
hope your all well xxxx

I believe (Im sure someone will correct me if wrong) but that you can only have a pancreas transplant if you require a kidney transplant and the donor organs both the kidneys and pancreas are suitable. I heard they dont remove your pancreas, they add the other in.

Chances of rejection are still very high. You are still then at risk, believe it or not, of developing diabetes....

You cannot transplant a pancreas alone.

If you had a pancreas transplant, you would have to take anti-rejection drugs for the rest of your life and this in itself has its own set of problems and the body could still reject the pancreas. We have Alex's stem cells frozen as it is more likely that they will be able to grow a pancreas from your own stem cells in the future and your body wouldnt reject it as its your own. You are not too old to have your stem cells frozen.🙂Bev

If you have a transplant you will be on anti-rejection meds for the rest of your life. Those drugs suppress your immune system and you become far more likely to pick up viruses etc. Unfortunately transplants aren't really the answer.

Bev- how did you go about getting alex's stem cells frozen? x🙂

Bev- how did you go about getting alex's stem cells frozen? x🙂

He still has some milk teeth and you send it away to the company and they grow stem cells from the stuff inside. But if you dont have milk teeth, you can use bone marrow.🙂Bev

Can You Send Any Detail About The Company Please ?

Can You Send Any Detail About The Company Please ?

http://us.bioeden.com/
This is it Daniella. It is not cheap to do - about ?900 for them to grow the stem cells and then its ?90 per year to store them. If you wanted to do it - let me know because then we both get 2 years free storage. You can also store placenta stem stells - and i know you are expecting another baby and you might like to think about storing some of the babys stem cells for the future.🙂Bev

thanks bev i am really pro but my partner is not of the same idea

There is another option that has shown some success - islet cell transplantation.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Research/Islet_cell_transplantation/

🙂

Id heard form my consultant that islet cell transplataion hasnt been the sucess it was first hoped to be. He had done some of the transplantation, there is still a lot of anti-rejection drugs that you have to take and insulin on top (but at a reduced amount) and the injections have to be done on a regular basis. :(

I had no idea about getting your stem cells frozen Bev🙂 thanks for sharing.

If I were you with a youngster I would have done exactly the same thing. Sometimes science is amazing isnt it? 😉

Id heard form my consultant that islet cell transplataion hasnt been the sucess it was first hoped to be. He had done some of the transplantation, there is still a lot of anti-rejection drugs that you have to take and insulin on top (but at a reduced amount) and the injections have to be done on a regular basis. :(

I had no idea about getting your stem cells frozen Bev🙂 thanks for sharing.

If I were you with a youngster I would have done exactly the same thing. Sometimes science is amazing isnt it? 😉

Lou, you could do it yourself - it just means a big injection to get some bone marrow and thats it.🙂Bev

I'm pretty impressed with you Bev, how cutting edge are you? 😉🙂

It might be something I should consider if I have a baby for my sprog- who I am hoping wont be 3rd generation type 1 but who knows.

Will look at all this! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back