Is it possible

Alan44

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Ok, so I was diagnosed with diabetes 10 weeks ago and my readings from bloods taken was 51 mmol/mol.
As I understand it, pre diabetes is under 48 mmol/mol.

In that 10 weeks I have lost nearly 1 and a half stone and followed a Strick diet of what I should be eating (or so I think from Dr google)
So my question is, What are the chances of being just Pre diabetic or better when I have my next blood test in about 3 weeks time assuming I continue with my diet and food regime.

Sorry for asking what may be a dumb question, but I am new to all this

Alan😉

Ok, so I was diagnosed with diabetes 10 weeks ago and my readings from bloods taken was 51 mmol/mol.

In that 10 weeks I have lost nearly 1 and a half stone and followed a Strick diet of what I should be eating (or so I think from Dr google)
So my question is, What are the chances of being just Pre diabetic or better when I have my next blood test in about 3 weeks time assuming I continue with my diet and food regime.

Alan😉
I’m sure someone far better educated than me will be along before you go for your Hba1c test in 3 weeks time, but personally I think well done on that weight loss, you must be in with a good chance of being >48 with your numbers @Alan44

Alan😉
Very likely, but it all depends on the individual. I went down from 50mmol/mol so pretty similar to you, to 42 in 3 months and to 38 in another 6 months where I have been for 3 years but sticking to my new way of eating which is low carb following the principals in this link. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

I’m sure someone far better educated than me will be along before you go for your Hba1c test in 3 weeks time, but personally I think well done on that weight loss, you must be in with a good chance of being >48 with your numbers @Alan44
Thank you

Very likely, but it all depends on the individual. I went down from 50mmol/mol so pretty similar to you, to 42 in 3 months and to 38 in another 6 months where I have been for 3 years but sticking to my new way of eating which is low carb following the principals in this link. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Thank you so much, your reply is so encouraging
Alan 😉

Well done on your great progress so far @Alan44

I hope you have really encouraging follow-up results.

My understanding is that if you get 2 readings below 48mmol/mol with no need for medication, then your diabetes would be considered ‘in remission’. You would still have Type 2 diabetes (remission isn’t ‘a cure’) but you’d have put your T2 into a sort of holding pattern where it should present you with far fewer risks

Alan😉
That will be 13 weeks from diagnosis so it won't overlap with your diagnostic HbA1c, so I would say you have a pretty good chance of it being lower than 51. I'm assuming you haven't been self-testing, which might have given you an indication as to whether your BG was trending downwards.

Well done on the weight loss - that'll help.

Well done on your great progress so far @Alan44

I hope you have really encouraging follow-up results.

My understanding is that if you get 2 readings below 48mmol/mol with no need for medication, then your diabetes would be considered ‘in remission’. You would still have Type 2 diabetes (remission isn’t ‘a cure’) but you’d have put your T2 into a sort of holding pattern where it should present you with far fewer risks
Thanks for the reply
The ugly side of me won't be beaten until it's beaten

Remission will do me fine as I will see that as a result (so I guess a few more tests to go)

Alan 😉

That will be 13 weeks from diagnosis so it won't overlap with your diagnostic HbA1c, so I would say you have a pretty good chance of it being lower than 51. I'm assuming you haven't been self-testing, which might have given you an indication as to whether your BG was trending downwards.

Well done on the weight loss - that'll help.
Hi Martin, Thanks so much for the encouraging reply
Yes, I have been self testing, I bought the kinetik test kit and have gone from 7.5 to 5.6 with a few ups and downs.
I don't fully understand what all the different readings mean, but from what I gather 5.6 is good (I think)

Yes, I have been self testing, I bought the kinetik test kit and have gone from 7.5 to 5.6 with a few ups and downs.
I don't fully understand what all the different readings mean, but from what I gather 5.6 is good (I think)
The target range for waking and pre-meal is to be between 4 and 7, so if you're consistently mid-5s that puts you right in the middle.

Oh that is probably a good thing and hopefully you will see a lower HbA1c - as that has little to do with weight and a lot to do with blood glucose levels.
I lowered my blood glucose levels by eating fewer carbs and my HbA1c retuned to the top end of normal. I lost a lot of weight, but I wasn't even trying.

Back