Is It Possible To Flush Sugar Out With Just Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin_98

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Pronouns
He/Him
My BGM just says "HI", which I think means 30.0 or more, but say I can't take insulin right now. If I just don't eat for a while and drink A LOT of water, can that be enough to flush out the excess sugar?
[I feel fine apart from thirst/tiredness and my ketones are only 2.4]

Your ketones are not only 2.4 - your ketones are high. And you are at risk of DKA @Austin_98

Anything over 1.6 is high for ketones.

If you use a meter to test for ketones in your blood:
  • under 0.6mmol/L is normal
  • 0.6 to 1.5mmol/L is slightly high – test again in 2 hours
  • 1.6 to 3mmol/L means you're at risk of DKA and should speak to your diabetes care team for advice
  • over 3mmol/L is high and means you may have DKA and should call 999 or go to A&E
You need to take insulin to get your BG down. And go to A&E if none is available.

My BGM just says "HI", which I think means 30.0 or more, but say I can't take insulin right now. If I just don't eat for a while and drink A LOT of water, can that be enough to flush out the excess sugar?
[I feel fine apart from thirst/tiredness and my ketones are only 2.4]

Definitely not @Austin_98 You need insulin to get rid of those ketones and bring your blood sugar down.

When I was first diagnosed, my blood sugar and ketones were similar and I didn’t feel that bad. I was surprised when the doctor phoned an ambulance but he explained I was on the verge of DKA. Please get medical support and have the insulin you need.

Looking back, I see you had DKA at the end of last year. Don’t let it happen again. I hope you’re ok and having the insulin you need.

I'm just away from home right now and forgot to bring my insulin. Will be able to take some in a few hours.
I have gotten my BG down to 22 now (exercise, water, no food)

Thanks for the caring comments!
Took 12 units rapid-release insulin about 75mins ago and my BG has been stable at 6.8 for the last 10-15mins.
Ketones are down to 1.8...still high but an improvement.

Check you ketones now. They may actually have risen from exercise without insulin and be at a critical level!

Damn, that was stupid of me. I KNEW exercise can raise ketones, but I was so focused on my BG being in the 30s I didn't think.

Check you ketones now. They may actually have risen from exercise without insulin and be at a critical level!

Damn, that was stupid of me. I KNEW exercise can raise ketones, but I was so focused on my BG being in the 30s I didn't think.
Hello, trust me on this. The sooner you get access to your insulin, the better.
when did you last take your basal?

Can you take your own basal?
IDK but a long time ago...like...March, I think (2022)?
I have a diabetic appointment in about 6 weeks, I think they'll be testing it then. The diabetic clinic have been TERRIBLE, though. Like, with the insulin, after 18 months with them, my BG were never lower than 20 and often in the 30s. So I just looked up online "mg carbohydrate per unit of insulin", started carb counting and within a week had normal readings. I feel really let down by them that as a total amateur I achieved in a week what they couldn't in 18 months.

Can you take your own basal?
IDK but a long time ago...like...March, I think (2022)?
Am I understanding correctly that you haven’t taken basal insulin for 2 years?

If you’re having DKA and high ketones then your body isn’t making enough insulin to survive without injecting it and you need some basal insulin.

@Austin_98. It might be helpful to members if you could tell us what insulins you are using and how you use them.

Am I understanding correctly that you haven’t taken basal insulin for 2 years?

If you’re having DKA and high ketones then your body isn’t making enough insulin to survive without injecting it and you need some basal insulin.

OHHHH, no. I completely misunderstood you! I thought basal meant (I can never remember but it's like HSBC1 or similar) that reading you get for your BG that gives a number for your average over the last 3 months?
I assume by this basal actually means my (lantus) slow-release insulin? If so, I take that every day.

@Austin_98. It might be helpful to members if you could tell us what insulins you are using and how you use them.

I take 12 units of Lantus once a day in the evening and I do carb counting for the novorapid (1 unit of insulin per 10g carbohydrate)

I take 12 units of Lantus once a day in the evening and I do carb counting for the novorapid (1 unit of insulin per 10g carbohydrate)
Phew, glad you’ve got Lantus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back