is it possible to diagnose yourself with a private test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
I have a diagnosis test due from the doctor to confirm if I am diabetic [type 2] but that will take 6 to 8 weeks to get an answer.
Is there a way I can purchase an effective diagnosis diabetic test [type 2] myself and get confirmation sooner?
I would rather know sooner and take the correct actions sooner
[either way, I would still go to the doctor's test

Many thanks in advance

The usual delay between a blood sample being taken and the results is a few days, not weeks - is there some other test than a simple HbA1c level being done?

its 6 weeks just to take the test and then they normally send the blood away. they are also doing a colostral test at the same time

Welcome to the forum
I assume you mean c-peptide and GAD antibody tests. These are generally only done by a small number of labs and are complicated tests but also the samples need special processing and storage and is not something easily done as an individual.
Is there any specific reason that your doctor thinks you may be Type 1 rather than Type 2. In any event a treatment pathway should be implemented asap.
Perhaps you would like to say a bit about yourself and your diagnosis, what your Hba1C is and any medication you have been prescribed.

Welcome to the forum
I assume you mean c-peptide and GAD antibody tests. These are generally only done by a small number of labs and are complicated tests but also the samples need special processing and storage and is not something easily done as an individual.
Is there any specific reason that your doctor thinks you may be Type 1 rather than Type 2. In any event a treatment pathway should be implemented asap.
Perhaps you would like to say a bit about yourself and your diagnosis, what your Hba1C is and any medication you have been prescribed.
hi, we are talking about type 2. My test is in 6 weeks to see if I am type 2 and they send it away because they are also doing cholesterol test at the same time. my query is can you do your own test sooner [for type 2] via some other means?

You could pay for a private blood test but it seems a waste of money. Do you have symptoms that are causing you concern?

If it is a standard HbA1C test then most people find the results are back at the GP in a few days, a week at the most, cholesterol also in a few days.
If there is doubt that somebody is Type 2 as their clinical symptoms done match then additional test I mentioned would be done though there needs to be good reason as they are expensive tests.
Are you being treated as Type 2 ? What have you been advised meanwhile.

Hi All,
I have a diagnosis test due from the doctor to confirm if I am diabetic [type 2] but that will take 6 to 8 weeks to get an answer.
Is there a way I can purchase an effective diagnosis diabetic test [type 2] myself and get confirmation sooner?
I would rather know sooner and take the correct actions sooner
[either way, I would still go to the doctor's test

Many thanks in advance
You can buy kits but you have to send it off to a lab and that may require a journey.

If it is a standard HbA1C test then most people find the results are back at the GP in a few days, a week at the most, cholesterol also in a few days.
If there is doubt that somebody is Type 2 as their clinical symptoms done match then additional test I mentioned would be done though there needs to be good reason as they are expensive tests.
Are you being treated as Type 2 ? What have you been advised meanwhile.

The OP is saying that their blood test isn’t for 6 weeks, I think. It’s nothing to do with Type 1, just an HbA1C and cholesterol.

I was travelling in the UK and felt extremely sick, so I went to see a GP in Harley Street, had a blood test, and had the diagnosis within four hours. The GP cost £150, which included the initial half-hour consultation, then a follow-up visit two days later. The blood test was the killer - £250, which turned out to be the standard cost of a private blood test in the UK. The blood test covered a huge range of things, including a liver function test and C-reactive protein. Cholesterol was included.

People without diabetes don’t stay between 4 and 7! That will just worry anyone reading this. The way to get a Type 2 diagnosis is by HbA1C.

It’s 6 weeks not 6 days! @tinydisk28 There are DIY tests that you do and are then sent to a lab but many don’t have good reviews. This largely seems to be because of difficulty in getting the amount of blood required out of a finger. I’d save my money personally, as it will need to be confirmed by a doctor anyway.

People without diabetes don’t stay between 4 and 7! That will just worry anyone reading this. The way to get a Type 2 diagnosis is by HbA1C.

It’s 6 weeks not 6 days! @tinydisk28 There are DIY tests that you do and are then sent to a lab but many don’t have good reviews. This largely seems to be because of difficulty in getting the amount of blood required out of a finger. I’d save my money personally, as it will need to be confirmed by a doctor anyway.
Sorry i was told to try keep that way. ill remove my post

At the moment there seems to be a lot of scaremongering about 'spikes' thanks to things like 'Zoe' and people without diabetes using CGMs and getting into a panic when they see their blood sugar go up, even though it's totally normal in non-diabetics. The problem for people with T2 is that it doesn't down and remains elevated. If I have a carb heavy meal I'm quite happy to see a spike as it means something is working!

Last edited:
Sorry i was told to try keep that way. ill remove my post
I think you were probably told 4-7 mmol/l *before meals*. That's the standard guidance.

It's really not so important how high you "spike" after eating, tho as a rule of thumb it's probably good to try to limit time above say 10. It's much more important how long you stay at high levels. So if you're back down under 8.5 (or even 10, really) at 2 hours after eating you're doing OK, but it's not so important what happens before then.

I think you were probably told 4-7 mmol/l *before meals*. That's the standard guidance.

It's really not so important how high you "spike" after eating, tho as a rule of thumb it's probably good to try to limit time above say 10. It's much more important how long you stay at high levels. So if you're back down under 8.5 (or even 10, really) at 2 hours after eating you're doing OK, but it's not so important what happens before then.
The phrase I've often come across is that '4 is the floor, 10 is the ceiling'. Also, my DN told me right at the beginning that I should, at the very least, aim to be in single figures 2 hours after a meal.

An HBA1C test with cholesterol should only take a few days to return results. My annual review ones come back to the surgery within 2 days using the local hospital blood test clinic. There is no way it should take 6 weeks. I think the problem here is with the surgery and you need to try to find out where the 6 weeks is coming from.

Hi all, thanks for your feedback, I got what i needed to know. i have purchased a HBA1C test to get a result back in 2 days once they receive it in the post. many thanks

An HBA1C test with cholesterol should only take a few days to return results. My annual review ones come back to the surgery within 2 days using the local hospital blood test clinic. There is no way it should take 6 weeks. I think the problem here is with the surgery and you need to try to find out where the 6 weeks is coming from.
For the love of……! The test will NOT take 6wks to come back! The OP is having to wait 6 weeks for the test to be done! Why is everyone mis-reading a simply comment that was later further clarified by the OP:

its 6 weeks just to take the test and then they normally send the blood away

Hi all, thanks for your feedback, I got what i needed to know. i have purchased a HBA1C test to get a result back in 2 days once they receive it in the post. many thanks

It would be interesting to see how close the result from the purchased test is to your doctor’s test (when you eventually have it) @tinydisk28 Do come back and let us know, and how easy the purchased test was to use. Good luck 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back