Is It Okay To Inject In Your Love-Handles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin_98

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Pronouns
He/Him
Not sure what the proper term is..flank?
I don't know if this is normal, but I have bruising and what I can only describe as "track marks" across my stomach so I'm trying not to inject there at the moment. My lower stomach (like at and below belly button level) is quite swollen, too. Is that normal? I do mean swelling, it's not fat, or oedema or gas/bloating. And the right side (where I tend to inject more often) is noticeably more swollen. Is all of this normal?
Anyway, I've found injecting in the love-handle/kidney area is very painless and the absorption works well but I'm not sure if you're "supposed" to do it there?

I certainly inject that area on both sides and if it works fine for you then there is no reason not to, especially if you have a little more fat there. I inject across my whole midriff area from one side to the other above, in line and below the navel.

The swelling you describe doesn't sound normal. Occasional bruising happens when you hit a small capillary blood vessel and sometimes you get a little dark bleb of blood under the skin rather than a normal diffuse bruise, but that is very unusual and will usually subside in a day or two. You should show the swelling to your DSN and see if they feel it is related to your insulin injections or something completely unrelated that you perhaps need to discuss with your GP.

I quite often try and reach round as far as I can to inject, while I’m flexible enough to do so, on the grounds that when I get really doddery, I might only be able to reach the stomach area at the front, so I’m trying to save it for the future.

I have been using lower back and sides almost exclusively for infusion sites since I started on a pump - which is coming up to 12 year now 😱

I have been using lower back and sides almost exclusively for infusion sites since I started on a pump - which is coming up to 12 year now 😱

I've been injecting in that area pretty much exclusively, too. I've never had a random painful one like with my stomach (normally injecting is only a very mild discomfort, but every so often, it'll REALLY sting...I think, cause I have very little stomach fat, I'm accidentally injecting into either the muscle or the superficial fascia when it hurts). The absorption seems to work really well, too.
And no bruises!
My stomach was covered in "track marks" and I'd get patches of yellow and purple from bruising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back