Is it okay and effective to distribute your long term (night time) insulin ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearlzo436

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

I get hypos every morning...must admit am a casual drinker as well...so is it okay to distribute your Lantus into two...late night at 2300 hrs and in the morning at 0800 hrs...

I get hypos every morning...must admit am a casual drinker as well...so is it okay to distribute your Lantus into two...late night at 2300 hrs and in the morning at 0800 hrs...
You need to talk to your care provider and discuss your problems with them as Lantus is not suitable for splitting the dosage. Levemir is normally used as two shots a day.
I see from your other posts you are a drinker, if this is every day then it will affect your insulin requirements as in lowering your blood sugars.
If you don't drink every night do you still wake up hypo on the drink free night?

Some people manage to get a split Lantus to work, but I never could. As Sue says Levermir is more usually used as a split basal. It has a shorter duration, and seems to respond to dose changes more immediately.

I had ongoing battles with Lantus and overnight hypos. The best fot for me seemed to be to take it at breakfast, so that it was tailing off at night time rather than building to full strength 🙂

if this is every day then it w
You need to talk to your care provider and discuss your problems with them as Lantus is not suitable for splitting the dosage. Levemir is normally used as two shots a day.
I see from your other posts you are a drinker, if this is every day then it will affect your insulin requirements as in lowering your blood sugars.
If you don't drink every night do you still wake up hypo on the drink free night?
many thanks...

Some people manage to get a split Lantus to work, but I never could. As Sue says Levermir is more usually used as a split basal. It has a shorter duration, and seems to respond to dose changes more immediately.

I had ongoing battles with Lantus and overnight hypos. The best fot for me seemed to be to take it at breakfast, so that it was tailing off at night time rather than building to full strength 🙂
awesome reply.....thankyou so very much. nice ! 😎

is novorapid and levemir better than apidra and lantus ?

I hear Tresiba is the new game changer...
It depends what you need. It works well for some people, but I don’t think it would work for me at all, because
a) I need more basal during the day and less at night, and Tresiba gives you a regular amount day and night and
b) Tresiba takes three days to work out of your system, so you can’t alter your basal just for one day, if for example, you’re going to be doing some one-off heavy exercise.
Thats why I prefer the flexibility of Levemir.

is novorapid and levemir better than apidra and lantus ?
Levemir is twice daily whereas Lantus is once a day, so Levemir is a bit more flexible (you can have different doses day and night, when you change the dose it'll have an effect a bit more quickly). Not sure I'd say "better", necessarily.

Levemir is twice daily whereas Lantus is once a day, so Levemir is a bit more flexible (you can have different doses day and night, when you change the dose it'll have an effect a bit more quickly). Not sure I'd say "better", necessarily.
Many people take Lantus twice a day as it often doesn’t last the full 24 hours.
Two doses (12 hours apart) was suggested to me but I chose to take it early evening and use my bolus (NovoRapid at the time) to make up any shortfall after 22 hours as this coincided with my evening meal.

But agree there is no such thing as “better” just more suited to some people than others.
For example, Tresiba’s long flat profile is wonderful for those who need the same dose every day but no good for those who need a daily variation for exercise, hormones, etc.

I’d say Levemir is better than Lantus. My control is much better using Levemir twice a day. Once you inject Lantus- or any even longer acting basal - you can’t take it out. Using Lantus twice a day is injecting insulin on top of insulin, so eventually the problem is just the same.

I inject about 50% of the morning dose of Levemir in the evening. Works almost as well as being on a pump, which is a shame, because I would quite like a pump to fine tune the better control.

Both my consultant in Scotland and England share the same opinion about Lantus and the longer acting insulins. They are just too inflexible.

I hear Tresiba is the new game changer...

Don’t be fooled by the idea that newer is always better - frankly, it’s not. You need the insulins that work best for you as an individual, whether they were patented five years ago or fifty years ago.

Personally I think twice daily basal insulin is more flexible. There are others as well as Levemir.

Hope you can find an insulin (or dosing approach with the ones you are already using) that works for you @pearlzo436 🙂

Don’t be fooled by the idea that newer is always better - frankly, it’s not. You need the insulins that work best for you as an individual, whether they were patented five years ago or fifty years ago.

Personally I think twice daily basal insulin is more flexible. There are others as well as Levemir.
I have always been using Lantus...and Lantus is said to be taken once a day. :(

Hope you can find an insulin (or dosing approach with the ones you are already using) that works for you @pearlzo436 🙂
I was diagnosed in August 2008...I had always felt that I had had diabetes sometimes around 2006....I was drinking heavy back then...this is In Brussels, Belgium...at the Jette Hospital near Zaventem airport. Apidra and Lantus is what I was prescribed...spent 2 and half months in hospital back then. Upon arrival to the UK I tried Novorapid and Levemir but have always felt Apidra and Lantus suit me more. Thing is with Lantus I tend to get hypos every morning....say if I take the usual 10 units at 2300 hrs after having had some crackers etc etc (light snack).

In the past few days I am taking Lantus 10 units at 7 in the morning having read your initial reply to this thread...and believe you me it suits me better. no hypos and BG levels appear to be steady all day.

I love this forum....stuff I am learning hear...even my GP doesn't get into that much detail. I live in Manchester, England. 🙂

I’d say Levemir is better than Lantus. My control is much better using Levemir twice a day. Once you inject Lantus- or any even longer acting basal - you can’t take it out. Using Lantus twice a day is injecting insulin on top of insulin, so eventually the problem is just the same.

I inject about 50% of the morning dose of Levemir in the evening. Works almost as well as being on a pump, which is a shame, because I would quite like a pump to fine tune the better control.

Both my consultant in Scotland and England share the same opinion about Lantus and the longer acting insulins. They are just too inflexible.
Cool...then ...extremely helpful reply.

I had always thought that Lantus and Apidra work together best.

Say if I were to try Levemir....can I still stick with short term insulin Apidra ??

Word around the campfire is that Novorapid and Levemir work best together as short and long term...atleast thats whta I had always thought.

Fantastic reply..and very informative...so many thanks .

I read the same...youtube vids suggest Tresiba is the very best out there...🙄

I had always thought that Lantus and Apidra work together best.

Say if I were to try Levemir....can I still stick with short term insulin Apidra ??
It may just be because Apidra and Lantus are both made by Sanofi, and Levemir and Novorapid are made by NovoNordisk, so each set of the same brand use similar pens, I started on Novorapid and Lantus, one of each, and had pens that worked in slightly different ways, and managed to cope! I’m sure it would be possible the other way round, with Levemir and Apidra.

It may just be because Apidra and Lantus are both made by Sanofi, and Levemir and Novorapid are made by NovoNordisk, so each set of the same brand use similar pens, I started on Novorapid and Lantus, one of each, and had pens that worked in slightly different ways, and managed to cope! I’m sure it would be possible the other way round, with Levemir and Apidra.
thanks !

I have always been using Lantus...and Lantus is said to be taken once a day. :(

You could ask to swap to Levemir or another twice daily insulin. The advantage is you can adjust each dose separately, so if you need less at night to avoid hypos, you just have less Levemir for your evening dose. The split doesn’t have to be 50/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back