Is it ok to get BG of 4s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catbanj

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi.

I was diagnosed T2 earlier this year and made chages to diet etc as a result. HbA1c was just into diabetic range- I don't take any diabetic meds. From the outside, everything seems to be going well, weight is coming down and finger print BG tests have moved from 9/10s to the 5/6 range for 90% of the time.

In the past few days I have started to get low 4s and even a 3.9 yesterday- I know about the error range on BG meters. This is most common about 5 hours after breakfast (porridge = 25g carbs) at 6.30am.

I'm not on any meds so I know it's not hypos like T1s would get but should I try and keep BG a bit higher or is it ok?

Thanks

Numbers in the 4s are perfectly fine, as long as you aren’t on any medication which can cause you to drop further. Even non-diabetics can dip below 4, the difference is that their body recognises and deals with it before it goes too far. Keep an eye on your numbers and as long as they don’t go lower than that, which they shouldn’t in the absence of meds, then it’s fine.

It’s fine. I go low quite regularly after a walk, and even lower if I go for a walk after eating carbs (Last evening I had a flat bread, walked to a local shop and got a 4 two hours after eating). Your body will quickly start building it up again to aliens 5.

Only on 500mg metformin, although I forget to take it a lot of days!

Numbers in the 4s are perfectly fine, as long as you aren’t on any medication which can cause you to drop further. Even non-diabetics can dip below 4, the difference is that their body recognises and deals with it before it goes too far. Keep an eye on your numbers and as long as they don’t go lower than that, which they shouldn’t in the absence of meds, then it’s fine.
Thank you.

It’s fine. I go low quite regularly after a walk, and even lower if I go for a walk after eating carbs (Last evening I had a flat bread, walked to a local shop and got a 4 two hours after eating). Your body will quickly start building it up again to aliens 5.

Only on 500mg metformin, although I forget to take it a lot of days!
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back