is insulin flown here

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
I am probably being paranoid here and worrying unduly - but - where does all the insulin come from? Is it flown in or do we produce it in the UK? Just wondering how much the chemists will have in stock until it runs out? Not wishing to worry anyone at all - I am probably being silly.🙂Bev

I think there are companies in the UK that produce insulin. It would be too expensive to import. Even if it is imported, because it is something necessary, the companies would find a way to get it here anyway.

just had a look online (cant link as on mobile) and it looks like there's a number of uk manufacturers.
I wonder if they would be able to import by plane, with the issues of insulin being put in the hold. Guess they'd have some flashy technology/equipment to over come the problems!
Doesn't look like it's an issue though which is good. The problem with this kind of thing is when there's a perceived risk people start stockpiling which then creates the shortage, like with the fuel strikes etc....(sorry, drifting off topic now!)

Hang on...i'll do a spot of research, but they're probably made in the UK, coz they're all labelled in english and have a british product license number (starts PL and will be on the pack)

Ok, research over. Most of the companies i can think of have offices and maufacturing plants in the UK. Sanofi Aventis has three, Dagenham, Cheshire and Newcastle. Novo Nordisk are based in Gatwick (nice recipe selection on their website by the way...) Wockhardt are in Wrexham and Lilly manufacture in the UK.
Importing meds is a complicated business, none of the usual insulins are imported as far as know. Well, was it you, Bev who had the confrontation with that (idiot) pharmacist about your son's insulin being a product of denmark? No idea what he was bleating on about, suspect he was just being a smarta...er..donkey...😉
Funny how none of them come from Cornwall eh?:D
Rachel

Hang on...i'll do a spot of research, but they're probably made in the UK, coz they're all labelled in english and have a british product license number (starts PL and will be on the pack)

Ok, research over. Most of the companies i can think of have offices and maufacturing plants in the UK. Sanofi Aventis has three, Dagenham, Cheshire and Newcastle. Novo Nordisk are based in Gatwick (nice recipe selection on their website by the way...) Wockhardt are in Wrexham and Lilly manufacture in the UK.
Importing meds is a complicated business, none of the usual insulins are imported as far as know. Well, was it you, Bev who had the confrontation with that (idiot) pharmacist about your son's insulin being a product of denmark? No idea what he was bleating on about, suspect he was just being a smarta...er..donkey...😉
Rachel

Hi Rachel,
Thanks for all this information - it has put my mind at rest! It wasnt me regarding the Denmark remark - was it Heidi when Nathan went onto his new insulin?🙂Bev

Cornwall?

Rachel

Novo Nordisk don't manufacture Insulin in Britain.They make insulin in 8 countries world wide...
Production sites
Bagsv?rd, Denmark
Chartres, France
Clayton, North Carolina, US
Dely Brahim, Algeria
Gentofte, Denmark
Hiller?d, Denmark
Hj?rring, Denmark
Kalundborg, Denmark
Koriyama, Japan
K?ge, Denmark
Mexico City, Mexico
Montes Claros, Brazil
M?l?v, Denmark
Tianjin, China
V?rl?se, Denmark

And yes of course their porcine insulins are a by-product of the Danish Bacon Industry - how could they not be ? They are squeezing pigs pancreases to get the juices out.
The fact that their British centre is at Gatwick ( actually Crawley) might be a clue about how their insulins ( Levemir, Novorapid etc) get here.

LANTUS is manufactured in Germany by sanofi-aventis (I think Apidra is as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back