Is glucose a factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in December I developed peripheral neuropathy. My b12 was low so I've been treated for that. Big improvements with other things but not the neuropathy. At the time my fasting glucose was tested, the result came back as 6.0mmol/L and I was told that is perfectly OK. Is it though? Might it be relevant?

It is pretty normal - anything between 4ish and 7ish, is. Doing firgerprick blood tests for BG is a routine thing they do for all patients no matter how old or young, or what happens to be wrong with them, in our local hospitals - same as doing your BP and temperature - and in my view that is correct procedure for everyone.

5 months isn't long to expect nerves to heal when they've been ill and dying for yonks already. Nerve damage is either sudden and traumatic - I did this to my left big toe when I dropped something heavy on the nail bed, and didn't regain the feeling in exactly half of it, was really weird, full feeling everywhere except half that one toe. Literally in recent weeks, it doesn't seem quite as 'numb' as it was. Or very slow indeed like when people have high blood glucose for years either without knowing it or because they don't treat it seriously and obtain the proper treatment, or when they do obtain it - don't follow the regime.

But - when did I drop the heavy enamel grill pan on it? August 2011 !!

To do a proper fasting BG test, that means while you are still in bed, just after you wake up, before you put a foot on the floor. Were you?

It is pretty normal - anything between 4ish and 7ish, is. Doing firgerprick blood tests for BG is a routine thing they do for all patients no matter how old or young, or what happens to be wrong with them, in our local hospitals - same as doing your BP and temperature - and in my view that is correct procedure for everyone.

5 months isn't long to expect nerves to heal when they've been ill and dying for yonks already. Nerve damage is either sudden and traumatic - I did this to my left big toe when I dropped something heavy on the nail bed, and didn't regain the feeling in exactly half of it, was really weird, full feeling everywhere except half that one toe. Literally in recent weeks, it doesn't seem quite as 'numb' as it was. Or very slow indeed like when people have high blood glucose for years either without knowing it or because they don't treat it seriously and obtain the proper treatment, or when they do obtain it - don't follow the regime.

But - when did I drop the heavy enamel grill pan on it? August 2011 !!

To do a proper fasting BG test, that means while you are still in bed, just after you wake up, before you put a foot on the floor. Were you?

Thank-you for your help, it was a test taken at a clinic, so no breakfast and a twenty minute walk to get there. Glucose is a long shot and I do know that nerves only recover slowly, I'm just a bit panicky because despite b12 injections I think the neuropathy is still getting worse. I did see a neurologist who did an emg, diagnosed idiopathic polyneuropathy and said come back in six months and I'll measure the deterioration. I persuaded my gp to treat the b12 deficiency and I still have to find out what below range IgA might imply, although I do know it means I'm more likely to develop autoimmune conditions.

What happens is - for all humans not just the ones with diabetes - once we wake up and get moving, because the body and brain knows that we'll need to do stuff more energetic than staying in bed and going back to sleep, and we haven't yet had a morsel to eat - it automatically releases some glucose from its storage facility (AKA the liver) to enable us to do whatever we need to - was dress, walk to the doctors, or go forth and hunt the woolly mammoth! - cos it's probably been happening since Day 2 in the Garden of Eden! (or whatever the non-Christian equivalent is)

Wouldn't you do better looking on http://www.b12d.org/ than a diabetes forum?

Thank-you for taking the time. I've visited several different forums because I'm desperate to find a reason for what's happening to me.

Thank-you for your help, it was a test taken at a clinic, so no breakfast and a twenty minute walk to get there. Glucose is a long shot and I do know that nerves only recover slowly, I'm just a bit panicky because despite b12 injections I think the neuropathy is still getting worse. I did see a neurologist who did an emg, diagnosed idiopathic polyneuropathy and said come back in six months and I'll measure the deterioration. I persuaded my gp to treat the b12 deficiency and I still have to find out what below range IgA might imply, although I do know it means I'm more likely to develop autoimmune conditions.

This is a very useful article on IgA immunoglobulin (antibodies). Not always an issue if the others, mainly IgG stay in range. I have depletion across the board and a condition called hypogammaglobulinaemia. However mine is caused through leukaemia not diabetes. The only immunoglobulin that can be replaced by IV infusion is the IgG.

Hope all goes well for you.

https://primaryimmune.org/about-pri...ecific-disease-types/selective-iga-deficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back