iron deficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

chezpez

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just got my blood results back today, and i'm very low on ferritin only 5! not had any symptoms i'm very active person feel in good health and never tired so was surprise. My question is has anyone else had low iron levels and do you think it's connected with my diabetes?

Just got my blood results back today, and i'm very low on ferritin only 5! not had any symptoms i'm very active person feel in good health and never tired so was surprise. My question is has anyone else had low iron levels and do you think it's connected with my diabetes?

well im certainly no expert, but....... just been on dafne and remember them saying that the kidneys produce a hormone (cant remember name), that tells the body to make red blood cells, so anaemia can be connected with diabetes and can be an effect of it. so it could be connected, but im sure your care team will be in touch and answer your questions on this. take care 🙂

thanks for you reply Tracey .. i asked them and they gave me no answer and said they were not sure why?? anyway started taking ferrous sulphate so hopefully will be sorted.

thanks for you reply Tracey .. i asked them and they gave me no answer and said they were not sure why?? anyway started taking ferrous sulphate so hopefully will be sorted.

the good thing (if you know what i mean 🙄), about diabetes is that we are always having tests! At least problems can be found sooner rather than later and things can be dealt with. hope you have it sorted in no time 🙂

I don't know if low iron levels are connected with diabetes, but I have had low levels myself a few times in my life. I did have the symptoms though.
And it is usually connected to low B12 levels in my case and I'm not an exception.

It would be wise to have this checked as well and let them check your iron regularly to see if it stays stable when you're back on the desired level. Otherwise you really need to know why it goes so low.

well im certainly no expert, but....... just been on dafne and remember them saying that the kidneys produce a hormone (cant remember name), that tells the body to make red blood cells, so anaemia can be connected with diabetes and can be an effect of it. so it could be connected, but im sure your care team will be in touch and answer your questions on this. take care 🙂

I found this article that explains the possible link (and the name of that hormone!), although it does seem to suggest that it's only a problem if diabetic complications like nephropathy and neuropathy are present.

http://www.anemia.org/professionals/feature-articles/content.php?contentid=000367=00015

I have read elsewhere about problems with B12 absorption and diabetes, but I think that relates to metformin. I take a multivitamin each day.

I was deficient in B12 before I was diagnosed with Diabetes. Been having injections every 3 months, I was told that my low B12 was caused by having 5 major stomach operations, apparently B12 is absorbed by the stomach lining and any operations or damage to the stomach can make the body unable to absorb B12.

I believe that a B12 deficiency was originally called "pernicious anemia" and used to be treated with blood transfusions - I think I prefer having the injections.

thanks for the link northerner .. ive only had diabetes for 3 yrs so i hope its not my kidney's as yet! had them checked too, very interesting though to read.. gonna get iron checked regulary, the weird thing is i went to the g.p last month for a full blood count and they said everything was fine.. then last monday was at the hospital talking about pre-conception there, so they took routine blood again and that came up with a low ferritin .. so either the g.p didnt take it or nothing showed up on my full blood count? weird!!:confused:

I found this article that explains the possible link (and the name of that hormone!), although it does seem to suggest that it's only a problem if diabetic complications like nephropathy and neuropathy are present.

http://www.anemia.org/professionals/feature-articles/content.php?contentid=000367=00015

I have read elsewhere about problems with B12 absorption and diabetes, but I think that relates to metformin. I take a multivitamin each day.

interesting article. We were being told of the effects of certain medications for hypertension, and kidney disease. the thing with anemia is it should be investigated to find the cause as there are so many whether diabetes related or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back