(Iron) Anaemia & Insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

gll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I did some googling on links myself but it mostly focused on the A1c results and not day to day effects.

All my bloodwork is pretty standard for anaemia after a particularly dreadful period (investigations being made on that front). Low rbc and the bits that go with that and no iron to bring it back up.

Since then its been an uphill battle with what feels like epic insulin resistance. Some days is "kinda" okay bit others just a general struggle with correction after correction. Not super spikey but I feel basal needs more than a nudge to get it back in line. Will do something tonight with it.

Just looking for correlation and not really causation here. Been extra tired (like queen of naps tired) so activity is poor overall.

I'm a few days into iron tablets from GP so hoping things will turn around, just feeling a bit fed up about it all today.

I could imagine anaemia makes your body stressed and any kind of stress can make blood sugars go wild in protest!

Don’t forget anemia affects a1c too though I can’t remember in which direction.

Sorry to hear you’ve been wrestling with anaemia @gll :(

It certainly seems to be something that associates with quite profound fatigue and lack of energy - and of course reduced activity doesn’t help on the insulin-sensitivity front either :(

Hope the iron tablets make a difference.

Has your B12 been checked too?

Reactions: gll
B12 was fine a month ago 🙂
Foliate was checked same time and that's back in range (been on heavy dose folic acid for that)
Iron is down at 4 (normal is 9-30)
It will all be rechecked in a few weeks to make sure it coming back up 😉

Kinda twigging that split doses are working better for me at the moment with a wee bit extra in the 2nd on depending on where I'm sitting an hour in.
3 day report 61% time in range but 0% of that is very high. Its mostly been dipping in and out of range and sitting 9-10 ish.

Basal been upped but really not happy with the amount (I know I know, you need what you need) but had a reasonable fasting this morning.

On a plus, the GI issues I've been having for 6 months now are being countered by the iron tablets so that's a small win :rofl:

I’m not diabetic but I have recently been very anaemic and with low ferritin (6 weeks of iron tablets and 2 iron infusions needed) so I sympathise with the feelings of fatigue and lack of ability to do very much. It’s not surprising that your insulin needs have gone up. If you’re able to do a slow amble each day then that will help bring your BG down a bit - it doesn’t have to be an hike just walk as much as you’re able without exhausting yourself. Also make sure you’re well hydrated. Be patient. It takes a while for the tablets to work.

Reactions: gll
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back