Iport

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbie3

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does anybody use an Iport and if so what are your thoughts please? I struggle with injecting insulin and my DSN has given me some samples to try. Are they painful to apply and do you feel they help. Thank you

I know they exist and that is my only knowledge of them as although it was hard sometimes with a glass & metal syringe and a 12mm blunt needle I still managed it as it was either that or to be extremely ill at least. How much easier can it possible be to insert your 4mm fine pen needle into an iPort and press the button than it is to insert said needle in your skin and press the button?

Does anybody use an Iport and if so what are your thoughts please? I struggle with injecting insulin and my DSN has given me some samples to try. Are they painful to apply and do you feel they help. Thank you

I’ve read about children using them but have no experience myself @barbie I assume they’re very similar to pump cannulas in the way they’re inserted. If they have an introducer needle, that will be a fair bit thicker than the pen needles. Certainly I find inserting pump cannulas worse than having a pen injection.

Where are you injecting? And are you using BD needles of the correct length and gauge?

I think the benefit that people who struggle with sensations around injections find, are that it’s one bigger discomfort every 3 days, rather than multiple times per day. Once it’s in, as long as your doses are fairly modest in size I don’t think you’d really feel them at all.

I guess it would work the same as a pump cannula in the way it creates a tiny pool of insulin to be absorbed under the skin, and that it would be better to deliver any doses bigger than 7-8u in 2 parts with a bit of a gap? (I think it was Walsh/Roberts in Pumping Insulin that suggested that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back