iPhone user with Dexcom but need android for insulin pump (help!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am an iPhone user and I have the Dexcom. I’m about to go the the DANA Pump but need an android phone. Anyone use a lower end android with Dexcom and insulin pump?? I refuse to pay £400 plus just to coordinate my Dexcom and pump. Any suggestions highly welcomed.
Thank you x

Many new Android phones are cheaper than £400 - I have just looked on John Lewis' site (not the cheapest option) and they have about 25 Android phones to choose from less than £400 and many are not "low end". My parents have just purchased a Motorola for under £100 (although this is low end). The do not have diabetes so do not know about compatibility with Dexcom (although xDrip is a good alternative if you have something ot on the approved Dexcom list) and DANA pumps.
I think you have got too used to Apple's inflated prices.

Alternatively, have you looked on eBay for secondhand options?

I have nothing against android users when I say low end I mean cheapest option not everyone can afford to be buying the most expensive options on the Dexcom list and no one’s finances are anyones business either. You are directed to buying the android options Dexcom list hence my forum question.
Dexcom itself works with iPhones but the pump however does not. I need an android phone that will be compatible with both.
I am looking for anyone who uses my above insulin pump and Dexcom that doesn’t use a product on the Dexcom list and an android phone that is not the most current and most expensive on the market.
Have a nice day 🙂

I use the Dana pump and have an android phone, but I don’t have Dexcom and don’t loop so I’m not much help. I went for a Samsung which has suited me well, and works with the Dana app. I can’t remember the price but it was significantly less than an iphone.

Hi Inka,
Thanks so much for your advice. I think I may need to look at pre owned because the list on Dexcom are so so expensive. I have to use Dexcom because it coordinates with an app that works with the Dana pump but it’s not so straight forward with the iOS and android compatibility sadly what Samsung model do you use if you don’t mind me asking
Thank you x

Mine is a cheapy Samsung model - Galaxy A3. I’ll be upgrading it soon but will probably still go for Samsung Galaxy but a higher spec one. I’m not sure it would be high enough spec for you, but the posher models might well be. Mine is basic.

I know it’s the “posher” ones that Dexcom list it’s just annoying because I use the current iPhone so don’t want to be paying for that and a top end Samsung too just so as i can coordinate the pump and Dexcom it’s just not ideal ‍♀️ If I knew a cheaper Samsung model would work with both I don’t mind buying that just can’t afford to be buying a brand new top scale one lol. Also, how do your find the pump is it straight forward enough I’ve been using pens for 27 years

Hi Inka,
Thanks so much for your advice. I think I may need to look at pre owned because the list on Dexcom are so so expensive. I have to use Dexcom because it coordinates with an app that works with the Dana pump but it’s not so straight forward with the iOS and android compatibility sadly what Samsung model do you use if you don’t mind me asking
Thank you x
Have you spoken to Advance therapeutics about the issue you have as wouldn't mind betting they can point you to the cheapest option.

Have you spoken to Advance therapeutics about the issue you have as wouldn't mind betting they can point you to the cheapest option.
Hi sue,
I tried calling them yesterday and they directed me to the Dexcom web page but I might call back and just see if they can recommend a cheaper option I just feel as soon as you mention Dexcom it’s as if you can only use what they are suggesting. When I spoke to a Dexcom rep they did say they try and test these models so it would be my understanding that that’s not saying one that’s not on the list wouldn’t work if you know what I mean. I was just hoping maybe someone would be using a non listed android phone lol. My diabetic team keep saying just buy a cheap one but that’s all well and good as long as I know they will work with each other

Hi sue,
I tried calling them yesterday and they directed me to the Dexcom web page but I might call back and just see if they can recommend a cheaper option I just feel as soon as you mention Dexcom it’s as if you can only use what they are suggesting. When I spoke to a Dexcom rep they did say they try and test these models so it would be my understanding that that’s not saying one that’s not on the list wouldn’t work if you know what I mean. I was just hoping maybe someone would be using a non listed android phone lol. My diabetic team keep saying just buy a cheap one but that’s all well and good as long as I know they will work with each other
Have you a mobile phone shop in your locality? It's just a hope and chance they would be as helpful as mine by trying out different models to see if the apps work on the phones for you.
They did this for me when I needed a new phone with no problem so I purchased a reconditioned phone from them. Oh and they even loaded the apps and registered the phone for me as well 🙂

Hi sue,
I do yes I think I’m going to get a refurbished phone as well and hopefully they will be as helpful as your local phone shop with me fingers crossed. Im on the same boat with you just need to make sure this camapps FX works on the phone I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back