iPhone-controlled bionic pancreas may free Type 1 diabetics from the insulin pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
For those who suffer from Type 1 diabetes, food can kill.

Unable to produce insulin, a hormone that removes sugar from the blood, diabetics must watch what they eat — very carefully.

Blood tests multiple times per day and supplementary insulin shots are an inescapable part of life.

Letting your guard down is not an option when an orange slice or a slice of wedding cake can bring seizure or death.

But researchers at Boston University and Massachusetts General hospital say they have developed a new tool in battling Type 1 diabetes: the “bionic pancreas.” The artificial organ mimics the function of the pancreas, which produces insulin.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...y-free-type-1-diabetics-from-the-insulin-pump

Letting your guard down is not an option when an orange slice or a slice of wedding cake can bring seizure or death.

A bit over-dramatic? 🙄

Great idea, but now I'm worried about orange slices accidentally flying into my mouth and killing me. That's almost as dramatic as my six year old Godson tackling me to the ground when I opened my Easter egg, screaming "no you have the diabetes it will kill you", it didn't but the bruise from the tackle lasted a while :D

Was he being sweet or sour? ie did he do it cos he wanted the egg or was he really worried for you? LOL

They'll not let me have one then as I don't have an I-phone.LOL

Was he being sweet or sour? ie did he do it cos he wanted the egg or was he really worried for you? LOL

They'll not let me have one then as I don't have an I-phone.LOL

Definitely sweet, he'd misunderstood his Mother's explanation of "the diabetes", and thought I was going to die instantly. There were tears and everything, now he's my little insulin monitor 🙂

"News Papers" 😱 Product is in the right direction 😎

Still not going to eat an orange slice though, just in case 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back