inulin fibre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
anyone use inulin fibre powder, ive read mixed reviews about it as a fibre a sugar and lowering blood gloucose

I've had a read about it and am thinking about trying it for the extra fibre and help with sleep. I haven't seen the claims that it helps directly with BG. It is low GI and in general, more fibre is a good idea.

It sounds great but ..... 4g of carb in every 5g? I'm watching carbs and decreasing slowly over time so will have to budget for that.

I'd be interested to hear from people who use it as to whether it works as well.

It sounds great but ..... 4g of carb in every 5g? I'm watching carbs and decreasing slowly over time so will have to budget for that.
I wonder if you are looking at a US site for your nutritional info as they include FIBER in their total carbohydrate count so you have to deduct that to get the digestible carbohydrate.... which is what breaks down into glucose. UK sites display the total carbs as digestible carbs, so the FIBRE does not need to be deducted. The thing to look out for is the spelling of FIBRE/FIBER as it tells you if it is a UK or US site. It can be a bit confusing until you get the hang of it.
I think any increase in soluble fibre in our diet is beneficial for gut health and cholesterol. I doubt it has much impact on BG levels as such. I tend to use psyllium husk and chia seeds as sources of soluble fibre, but I am nearly out of Psyllium at the moment so might try some inulin for a change. It is important to drink plenty when you use a fibre supplement, so do keep that in mind.

@rebrascora is right, you must be looking at an American site since in UK nutritional info terms it’s 7g carb per 100g, so negligible carbs since the recommended serving size is only 5-10g per day

i looked it up on Nutricheck, which I use for everything

How much fibre does Nutricheck say it contains?
It’s correct on nutracheck (though I didn’t check every single brand but looked at a few and were fine)

Attachments

• IMG_7335.png
    IMG_7335.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 4
So is it possible that @Catbanj is looking at a US Inulin product on Nutricheck that has just had the carbs copied straight from the US packaging?

I don't use any of these apps, so just wondering how the data they have is wrong, hence asking for the Fibre content of the product they are viewing.

So is it possible that @Catbanj is looking at a US Inulin product on Nutricheck that has just had the carbs copied straight from the US packaging?

I don't use any of these apps, so just wondering how the data they have is wrong, hence asking for the Fibre content of the product they are viewing.
No you’d have to have nutracheck set up to prefer a US database not UK to get US products. There’s always the possibility they actually are American though?

Also, there’s always a chance numbers can sometimes be wrong in these apps. If they have managed to find one rogue entry they can correct it from the packaging. If something ever seems unrealistic, just check it against other entries or the packaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back