Introduction

gailq

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I am trying to learn as much as I can about CBM systems and how the data is used to help a patient and how to share the data with a Health Care Professional. I am assisting a friend.

Right, from your searching, I’m presuming you do 🙂 The answer depends on which CGM your friend uses. The data is used by the HCP to suggest changes to improve results, to see how their blood sugar control is, etc. For Type 2s, it depends on their meds. Some are diet only and use the CGM data themselves.

What type of diabetes does your friend have and what CGM? How’s their blood sugar? Do you/they have any particular concerns @gailq ?

Right, from your searching, I’m presuming you do 🙂 The answer depends on which CGM your friend uses. The data is used by the HCP to suggest changes to improve results, to see how their blood sugar control is, etc. For Type 2s, it depends on their meds. Some are diet only and use the CGM data themselves.

What type of diabetes does your friend have and what CGM? How’s their blood sugar? Do you/they have any particular concerns @gailq ?
My friend has Type 2. At this time she is using Abbott FreeStyle Libre. She uses both the Reader provided and the iPhone App. It supports "flash" access to the sensor. She has connected me and I use LibreLinkUp to follow her readings. It also shows a graph of the past 12 hours provided she does a scan at least every 8 hours. There is a FreeStyle Libre 2 available now from the NHS which supports real time readings and it is a true CGM. However, she hasn't been updated for some reason.

Yes for insulin and I think she also takes meds. I am not sure which one. I am concerned that she is adjusting when and how much insulin she is injecting based on the glucose readings she is receiving from the FreeStyle Libre system. She has tried to get a Practice ID to share the LibreView data with no success. She was set up with the sensor etc. at the small hospital in Malton. They gave her their Practice ID. She then was turned over to her local surgery. No one there seems to have the correct Practice ID for the FreeStyle Libre system. Other than her GP that requested insulin treatment for her and set up the Appt in Malta, none of her HCPs at her surgery seem to know much about the system. Is this normal procedure?

Her surgery should have a nurse or doctor with an interest in diabetes @gailq They should be able to give advice re insulin dosages. I use a Dexcom not the Libre so can’t comment on the software, but could she try uploading screenshots from her phone of particular days or times when she feels she needs medical input?

She should be checking her Libre with fingerpricks before making insulin adjustments. Do you know what insulin she’s on? That makes a difference as to how she’d use it and how she’d make adjustments.

There is a FreeStyle Libre 2 available now from the NHS which supports real time readings and it is a true CGM. However, she hasn't been updated for some reason.

I am sure your friend must be on Libre2

Libre 1 was discontinued in the UK in December 2022

What does it say on the box?

I know she is doing fingerpicks when the Libre readings have been very high. One of the sensors Abbott determined wasn't functioning properly and sent get a new one. I will have to find out what insulin and is using. Thanks for all of your great information. The screenshot is a great idea.

I am sure your friend must be on Libre2

Libre 1 was discontinued in the UK in December 2022

What does it say on the box?
Since she isn't receiving real time updates and has to do a scan with her iPhone App, I just assumed it was the original Libre. That is "flash". I will have to ask her what it says on the box. I also think she has the original Reader. Maybe her sensors are Libre 2, but her Reader is for Libre 1. I also think there was an update to the iPhone App to support real time readings. I will have to check with her. When I use LibreLinkUp there is a break in the graph if she hasn't done a scan within 8 hrs. Maybe it means her phone was out of range with the sensor. There is a lot yo keep track of and I am very remote from her

Well I’m confused! :D

Libre 2 is different from Libre 1…

You can’t use a Libre 1 reader with a Libre 2 sensor or vice-versa

It looks from your IP addresses that you aren’t in the UK?

You can’t use a Libre 1 reader with a Libre 2 sensor
It's been a long time, but I think you can (it may be necessary to upgrade the firmware and that's not possible with particularly early Readers). You just don't get alarms. Doesn't work the other way around (you can't use the Libre 2 Reader with Libre 1 sensors).

That is correct. I am now in America. I spent 6 weeks in the UK this summer. I am a retired IT professional. My friend asked me to help her get set up using the FreesStyle Libre App on her iPhone. The App gave her the ability to share her readings with others as well as her HCP. The HCP she was dealing with at Malton Hospital assumed she could handle everything on her own. I straightened out many miscommunications. I now need to find out which sensor she has and what version of the FreeStyle Libre App is installed on her iPhone. Many of the posts I have read indicate that the HCPs at her local surgery won't have time to look at her LibreView data. She can't even get a Practice ID to share the data with. I don't think there is anyone knowledgeable there, but I could be wrong. I want to continue to try to help her.

It's been a long time, but I think you can (it may be necessary to upgrade the firmware and that's not possible with particularly early Readers). You just don't get alarms. Doesn't work the other way around (you can't use the Libre 2 Reader with Libre 1 sensors).
You have confirmed what I read. She can actually ask for a new Libre 2 Reader and also keep the old Libre 1 Reader. I didn't want to get into that until I confirmed which sensors and had.

Back