Introducing...

teapot8910

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just realised I never really posted since last year when I was kinda freaking out about being pregnant and now I have a 5-month old called Jack! Below pic is from a couple of months ago - he's changed so much already.

Pregnancy went very smoothly after my initial post ref hypo's early on and I was very lucky to only have 3 days of morning sickness (which happened to be Xmas Eve, Xmas Day and Boxing Day...). I'm lucky that I've been on a pump since 2015 so was making a lot of tweaks myself with confidence which was a huge thing for me. Jack was born in February after being induced at 38 weeks.

Just wish that the same support I had pre-Jack was on offer now as my levels are a bit haywire but we're getting there slowly.

Hope you're all well and if you're thinking of getting pregnant, it is a bloody tough few months but very worth it in the end 🙂<3

204d4ae8-0c8d-4f1f-8597-7d6f2a620568.JPEG

Many congratulations and thanks so much for posting about it as I am sure it will give hope and inspiration to others who are anxious at the start of their pregnancy journey.
Love the photo! He is such a cutie!

Wonderful news!
What a happy healthy little man he is. Perfect!

Post natal care is none existent for diabetics, mine was zilch actually, was hoping it had improved in this time.

I wonder if diabetes UK should be promoting this, we just get forgotten about and get told opposite things from medical people as it’s back to standard diabetics team, not those who understand hormones and being a new mum. And GP was so useless, couldn’t even get contraceptive at 6 weeks check up, I couldn’t even get an appointment for family planning, used a condom which must have spilt (yes I can’t believe I’m saying that) we did it one time and I was pregnant again - fss. I had an abortion before she was even 6 months, that’s because the after care doesn’t exist.

Also I remember the first bad hypo after I had her and I was on my own. Awful. The mental impact of a new baby and diabetes definitely isn’t considered at all, what comes first baby or diabetes is always on your mind and balancing act.

Wonderful news!
What a happy healthy little man he is. Perfect!

Post natal care is none existent for diabetics, mine was zilch actually, was hoping it had improved in this time.

I wonder if diabetes UK should be promoting this, we just get forgotten about and get told opposite things from medical people as it’s back to standard diabetics team, not those who understand hormones and being a new mum. And GP was so useless, couldn’t even get contraceptive at 6 weeks check up, I couldn’t even get an appointment for family planning, used a condom which must have spilt (yes I can’t believe I’m saying that) we did it one time and I was pregnant again - fss. I had an abortion before she was even 6 months, that’s because the after care doesn’t exist.

Also I remember the first bad hypo after I had her and I was on my own. Awful. The mental impact of a new baby and diabetes definitely isn’t considered at all, what comes first baby or diabetes is always on your mind and balancing act.
I agree 100%. We as T1 women have such a lot of hospital appointments & scans and then once baby is born we just get moved aside for the next person! I was in the hospital for a few days after giving birth and was told to change my insulin pump settings to pre-pregnancy. Apart from them asking if I was checking my BGs I had no-one really to advise me what to expect. My first D-related appointment with my DSN is next week, nearly 6 months post partum. Not even had an e-mail to check in to see how I'm doing.

Thankfully I've been diagnosed and had my pump for a number of years now. Couldn't imagine doing it all newly diagnosed!

Back