Introducing New Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
If I put a new Libre sensor on my other arm can I after an hour take a reading from the old one and immediately introduce the new sensor so I can compare both to my meter. Thanks in advance!

If I put a new Libre sensor on my other arm can I after an hour take a reading from the old one and immediately introduce the new sensor so I can compare both to my meter. Thanks in advance!
Not normally, no. When you start the new sensor, it automatically ends the old one even though you’re only into the hour's warm up period on the new.(You do get a warning, it asks you 'do you want to start the new sensor, starting a new sensor will end the old one' or words to that effect.)
I think some people who use unofficial apps to read their Libre can do some jiggery pokery so they can read the old on one system and the new on the other, but I've never gone into that.

I am happy to end the old one as it is 13 days in and 25% out. What I am.after is an immediate comparison as if the new one (from a different batch) reads the same I might think my issue is the meter!

As soon as you start the one hour warm up of a new sensor, you lose the ability to scan your old one. Therefore, there will always be at least an hour between the two sensors.

I am happy to end the old one as it is 13 days in and 25% out. What I am.after is an immediate comparison as if the new one (from a different batch) reads the same I might think my issue is the meter!
You’ll still get an hours gap even if you end the old one early. But if you choose a time when your Bgs are likely to be stable or predictable, it’ll give you a good indication. Unless you get one of those sensors that takes 24hrs to bed in, that is…

If you also use a smartphone, then yes. You can start the new sensor with the reader and just keep scanning the old one with the phone. If you just use the reader then no: initialising a new sensor means you can't read the old one.

I use diabox on my phone alongside the libre reader. Diabox gives a few extra hours on the sensor so can have readings from old and new

In my experience there can be quite a bit of variation between different batches of test strips on the same meter. This is especially true in the case of the Freestyle meter. This could be a factor in this instance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back