Interrailing and foreign travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffygirl

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi everyone

Looking for some advice please? My daughter would like to go travelling abroad and we were wondering if there is a website or something similar where young people can go to sign up/join on organised trips? Being with company would make us all feel more comfortable and it would be more enjoyable for her with similar minded people. Thank you.

There are many companies who do organised trips of europe, but they tend to be for older people. If she is planning on staying in hostels, why doesn't she plan the trip herself? As a veteran of many solo trips from when I was 18 I thoroughly endorse this approach to travel, which offers great freedom and many opportunities to meet people along the way. Planning a weekend trip to eg paris/amsterdam on Eurostar by herself would be a good practice before a longer trip. Another option is to sign up for a language course - some schools have branches in multiple cities that you can transfer between, but even a two week stay in one place with offer a combination of meeting people/exploring a city, and some chances for day/weekend trips

Hi @Taffygirl A few of the solo travel companies have younger customers as well as older. Rough Guides also has some information about solo holidays. Also, she could consider a working holiday as many of those mix work with leisure time. I did that when I left school and met a great bunch of people of a similar age to me, plus it was fun!

Another option, if you can afford it, is to contribute towards a friend or young relative travelling with her. My aunt did this for her teen and it worked very well (her teen had medical issues and my aunt wanted companionship for her and also just someone she could turn to if needed).

There are many companies who do organised trips of europe, but they tend to be for older people. If she is planning on staying in hostels, why doesn't she plan the trip herself? As a veteran of many solo trips from when I was 18 I thoroughly endorse this approach to travel, which offers great freedom and many opportunities to meet people along the way. Planning a weekend trip to eg paris/amsterdam on Eurostar by herself would be a good practice before a longer trip. Another option is to sign up for a language course - some schools have branches in multiple cities that you can transfer between, but even a two week stay in one place with offer a combination of meeting people/exploring a city, and some chances for day/weekend trips
Hi Saoirse, thanks for your reply. I think you've had a good idea here. Planning short trips out to start would give her the confidence on being alone. Small steps.....!

Hi @Taffygirl A few of the solo travel companies have younger customers as well as older. Rough Guides also has some information about solo holidays. Also, she could consider a working holiday as many of those mix work with leisure time. I did that when I left school and met a great bunch of people of a similar age to me, plus it was fun!

Another option, if you can afford it, is to contribute towards a friend or young relative travelling with her. My aunt did this for her teen and it worked very well (her teen had medical issues and my aunt wanted companionship for her and also just someone she could turn to if needed).
Hi Inka, thanks for your reply. I think you've had a great idea too! A working holiday could definitely be an option plus it would look good on her CV! I also think us contributing towards a travelling companion might be the way to go. It would certainly give us peace of mind knowing she has someone looking out for her if needed. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back