Intermittent dieting

Peter Mack

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Morning everyone.
If you engage in a intermittent diet what level of grams of carbs would be a target?
Sorry about the ambiguity of the question im a beginner at this.
Pete.

Morning everyone.
If you engage in a intermittent diet what level of grams of carbs would be a target?
Pete.
Everybody is going to be aiming at different amounts depending on what their HbA1C is, what if any medication they are taking and what type of dietary regime they may be following, low carb, low calorie, shakes and soups etc. What 'intermittent diet' are you trying as that will mean different things depending on what plan you are following.

Hello,
I am taking metformin and am about to try a intermediate diet doing my own carb counting , I am sort of confused most sites say 130 grams max?

Hello,
I am taking metformin and am about to try a intermediate diet doing my own carb counting , I am sort of confused most sites say 130 grams max?
If people are going to follow a low carb approach (not necessarily with specific periods of fasting though most people will actually naturally have a period of 12 hours overnight when they do not eat) then a good starting point for the amount of carbs not just sugar would be no more than 130g spread between meals, snacks and drinks.
Have a look at this link as it explains about the concept of low carb which is not NO carb. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

I focus on protein (chicken, dairy, beans, etc) and lots of vegetables with some fruit (berries, apples). My daily total carbs averages out 75g +/- 25g within the generally accepted 130g/day low carb limit. I use the free version Cronometer app to work things out.

Morning everyone.
Pete.
Hi Peter, I notice you are very recently diagnosed. Can I ask if the purpose of your diet is to lose weight or reduce carbs to manage blood glucose levels or both. As others have already said there are various approaches you can take. Maybe measure your typical carb intake over a few days to give you a starting point to work from. I found reducing too quickly made me feel unwell particularly after exercise so I have dialled it back a bit and taking it more slowly. Still aiming to reduce carbs to control BG. Just had an eye test and changes to BG have definitely affected my eyesight.

There’s an inteoduction to intermittent fasting on Patient Access which may answer some of your questions @Peter Mack

And Diabetes UK has a summary of intermittent fasting and T2 diabetes here

Hello,
I think most people will find what level of carbs is best for them by testing after eating, seeking to normalise the blood glucose level at the 2 hour from starting to eat point.
My personal daily maximum to get down to the top end of normal HbA1c seems to be under 40 gm per day - though it was exactly the same when doing under 50 gm a day.
I have been hovering at the top end of normal for over 7 years now, so I am using Tesco shakes and small meals to see how that alters things. I will be having a blood test in 3 weeks so will go on in the same way until then.
I have found that I am not hungry despite the small amount of nourishment, but I was already fat adapted when I started on the experiment. It has been a bit of an eye opener for me, as low calorie diets always left me looking and feeling half dead when I tried to go into them from high carb low fat regimes.

Back