Intermittent dieting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I started the intermittent diet today and did the first 16 hours without much problem had salad for lunch but I feel I will be very hungry towards the afternoon what should I do?

Which Intermittent diet are you following? This topic is about the NHS Type 2 Diabetes Path to Remission Programme but AFAIK that does not include salad for lunch. Never mind though, you must make sure you have nutritious meals with enough protein, healthy fat, fibre and vegetables to carry you through. Try eating some nuts, a butter coffee or butter cocoa, with 20g of butter, they can help. Michael Mosley & Mimi Spencer's 'the fast diet' is a common sense guide to IF in general as well as 5:2 IF. You could follow Dr David Unwin's diet sheet on 2 meals a day:
Otherwise have a drink, take some exercise or find somerhing else to do, hunger pangs will pass.

Welcomecto the forum @barbaratavernard

I’ve moved your post and reply into it’s own thread, so that it doesn’t get muddled with replies to the earlier post. 🙂

Have you got support materials to help you with your internittent fasting approach?

We have a number of members who have ended up eating 2x a day almost as an unintended byproduct of the changes they made to their way of eating. Their menu keeps them satisfied in the meantime. 🙂

Diets, I hate that word, that involve periods of fasting need to have meals which are nutritious with protein and healthy fats as otherwise you won't have the energy for your organs to function.
Unless people are prone to snacking then a period of not eating can easily be 12-14 hours in the overnight period anyway.
Fasting can work for some people but or others blood glucose rises due to the liver releasing glucose to provide energy.

How would I know with my glucose has rise ! I reduce my medicine intake because I got scared of low blood sugar crash

Sorry let me introduce my self my name is Barbara I am 59 years old I have diabetes and type 2. I am fed up with all the pills and I want to be health again

Hi and welcome.

What medication are you on?

There are only a few diabetes medications which can cause your levels to go potentially dangerously low and you should be prescribed a Blood Glucose meter and test strips if you are on one of those.

Many people here on the forum self fund that equipment to see how their body responds to various foods and exercise and use that info to adjust their lifestyle (menu and activity) to improve their diabetes management and in many cases push their diabetes into remission.

Many people use a home blood glucose monitor to check on a daily, weekly basis to check progress or to check the effect of meals on their blood glucose and also to check when they feel unwell.
What medication are you taking and what sort of meals do you have.

Sorry let me introduce my self my name is Barbara I am 59 years old I have diabetes and type 2. I am fed up with all the pills and I want to be health again
Hi @barbaratavernard,
'I am fed up with all the pills and I want to be healthy again' is a clear objective. Unless you have some complication, there is a very high chance you will be able to diet your way into a full remission. That is the message from Professor Roy Taylor and Dr David Unwin in their presentations at a conference last year. I followed Roy Taylor's advice after my diagnosis in December 2022. My HbA1c was down to 39 (normal) in by Easter and back to a healthy weight in the Summer (trousers down from 40" to 32").

Links:

- Roy Taylor, Achieving T2D remission (May 2023):

- The nuts & bolts of drug free T2 diabetes remission by Dr David Unwin: 

- Dr Unwin's diet sheet: https://phcuk.org/wp-content/uploads/A_5_page_low_carb_diet_leaflet_Unwin_2021-converted.pdf
- Zoe Harcombe's 'What should we eat?' https://www.zoeharcombe.com/2021/08/what-should-we-eat/

David Unwin and Zoe Harcombe's diets are variations on a theme.

Hi and welcome.

What medication are you on?

There are only a few diabetes medications which can cause your levels to go potentially dangerously low and you should be prescribed a Blood Glucose meter and test strips if you are on one of those.

Many people here on the forum self fund that equipment to see how their body responds to various foods and exercise and use that info to adjust their lifestyle (menu and activity) to improve their diabetes management and in many cases push their diabetes into remission.

I Take Metamorphin, Glycaside and Januvia I just have to take two each so it is a lot of pills.
I can not take any more.

I Take Metamorphin, Glycaside and Januvia I just have to take two each so it is a lot of pills.
I can not take any more.
With those medications you are taking you should be prescribed a blood glucose monitor and strips as if you are still going down the intermittent fasting route you need to make sure your blood glucose isn't actually going too low as the gliclazide encourages your pancreas to produce more insulin so you actually need some carbs in your diet when you take that medication for it to work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back