Interim T2 review with nurse today

silver minion

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Well she was happy with HbA1c reduction to 77 mmol/mol but has increased Gliclazide dosage to help bring it down further. Will be titrate to 80mg twice daily over the next two weeks. Back to finger prick testing twice daily and before driving, although I am still waiting for new glasses from the opticians. At least I am currently tolerating the medication with very little side effects so far. Discussed mild neuropathy in feet and eyesight issues which we hope will settle down. Retest bloods in 8 weeks time with another follow up. Not making any major changes to diet until my body adjusts to new dosage. Told nurse my long term aim is to manage diabetes with diet, exercise and reduce the medication. We will see she said. Ho hum..

sounds good

sounds good
Thanks @gail2 , I must admit that I consider myself extremely lucky so far when I read about the problems posted by other people. Diabetes is relentless and impacts so much on people's lives. I do worry about the long term effects and really hope I don't end up on insulin.

Thanks @gail2 , I must admit that I consider myself extremely lucky so far when I read about the problems posted by other people. Diabetes is relentless and impacts so much on people's lives. I do worry about the long term effects and really hope I don't end up on insulin.
if u endup on insulin dont worryits one of those things sometimes we need the extra help

I was diagnosed with Late Onset Type 1 out of the blue in my 50s and had to start injecting myself with insulin four times per day from the day of my diagnosis. It felt overwhelming for two reasons: 1) I didn't like the idea of all those injections and 2) I felt as if I were really 'damaged' and somehow less of a person, having always been very fit and healthy.

However, once I'd been injecting insulin for a while I started to feel so much better physically: I hadn't realised how ill I'd been! The injections aren't like 'normal' injections (I hardly feel them) and I've found it quite easy to get into a routine.

So, without wanting to minimise your worries, even if you do need to start injecting insulin you may find that it isn't as bad as you think. I've noticed that insulin-related diabetes is only ever mentioned in the media when something goes wrong!

I was diagnosed with Late Onset Type 1 out of the blue in my 50s and had to start injecting myself with insulin four times per day from the day of my diagnosis. It felt overwhelming for two reasons: 1) I didn't like the idea of all those injections and 2) I felt as if I were really 'damaged' and somehow less of a person, having always been very fit and healthy.

However, once I'd been injecting insulin for a while I started to feel so much better physically: I hadn't realised how ill I'd been! The injections aren't like 'normal' injections (I hardly feel them) and I've found it quite easy to get into a routine.

So, without wanting to minimise your worries, even if you do need to start injecting insulin you may find that it isn't as bad as you think. I've noticed that insulin-related diabetes is only ever mentioned in the media when something goes wrong!
Thanks for trying to put my concerns into perspective. It doesn't help that I am a total wuss with needles. I even flinch using a lancet on my fingers. Reading about all the calculations to get the dosage correct and avoid hypos is a bit scary. I am in awe of you and others who take all this in their stride as part of your daily routine.

Thanks for trying to put my concerns into perspective. It doesn't help that I am a total wuss with needles. I even flinch using a lancet on my fingers. Reading about all the calculations to get the dosage correct and avoid hypos is a bit scary. I am in awe of you and others who take all this in their stride as part of your daily routine.
@silver minion I still don’t like lancetting my finger to get that drop of blood, if you ever do need to take insulin as I have for several years
please be re assured it’s such a fine needle that you use on the insulin pen it’s not a problem
plus your injecting it usually belly fat (but not exclusively) so please don’t get anxious as I did
I was put on a Mixed insulin so it’s easy no calculation for different foods, just a jab twice a day,
well done on initial reduction of your Hba1c down to 77 :star:

Well I'm "a total wuss with needles" too: I still have to look away when anyone on the TV has an injection. However, the insulin syringes don't look like that and even from the start it didn't feel like a 'real' injection. The calculations aren't as bad as they might seem - and I wish that I'd known of this Forum when I was diagnosed, as it would have been very reassuring.

I guess that people "take all this in their stride" to greater or lesser extents: the reality is that, for many of us, the alternative is (at least) long-term disability. However, there's lots of help out there (from the NHS and from Diabetes UK) if you do end up having to inject insulin.

Back