Interesting research says some adults diagnosed with T1/LADA are actually T2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vectian

Pronouns
He/Him
I was told that if you test positive for GADA then you definitely have T1/LADA. However, this research paints a different picture:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8247509/

To summarise, it seems to be saying if I have understood correctly, that you can test positive for GADA but your diabetes is non-autoimmune, so T2. Particularly if your presentation is more like T2 and in older onset when the prevalence of T1 is pretty low. It says this explains why LADA seems to have features of both types, because some of those people categorised as LADA actually are T2, not because LADA works in some different way. In fact it seems to say that it's more likely that you are T2 with positive GADA than T1, and false positives are common. So the GADA test alone is not conclusive according to this.

This seems quite significant, as people are being told they are automatically T1 so put on insulin for life because of the GADA test, when they could in fact be T2 so able to put it into remission. Does anyone know anything more about this? I have tried to contact the authors of this research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back