Interesting meter discrepancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I just tried my new Optium Xceed meter for the first time. It told me that my level was 4.4 mmol/l - a bit low, but the right side of low. I then decided to compare with my Accu Chek Aviva and got a 3.7 mmo/l. Now, I was feeling fine when I saw 4.4, but now I'm all hypo since seeing the 3.7! I'm more inclined to believe the 3.7, given how I am feeling! 😱

Bit risky!

Shouldn't really use two meters and compare, but I would throw caution to the wind and go off the lower reading and treat as a hypo.

I have found this happens in past when using different brands of meter. I woild go by how your body feels
gail

I have found this happens in past when using different brands of meter. I woild go by how your body feels
gail

I've only ever used Accuchek meters since diagnosis - I have an Aviva and a Nano. Looks like my increased activity is starting to take effect - I have been reducing my novorapid to try and account for it, but obviously not enough. Might have to lower the lantus tonight.

I've got the Xceed and a Contour as a backup. They too give quite different readings. Gotta go with the lower one in that situation but it is annoying that they can't calibrate better.

Rob

I expect the discrepancy is probably within the margin of error for both meters e.g. if it was +/-0.5mmol then your actual blood sugar could be anything between 3.9 (4.4 - 0.5) and 4.2 (3.7 + 0.5) and the readings on both meters could be declared as being with the margin of error.

I am similar to Northerner in that I have the Accu-Chek combo meter for my pump and the Xceed for Ketone readings but I do have some glucose strips for it so it can be used as a back-up. When I have tested on both the discrepancy has normally been of the order Northerner reports here and I tend to find that the Accu meter gives the lower reading - maybe that is one way they get their meter to suggest its use reduces your BG readings! 🙄

That said the oddest result I had was when I had an Xceed reading of around 5.5 and then moments later I took the reading on my Accu-Chek and got 10.1! That made me laugh, I think the problem was that before taking the second reading I had left the drop on my finger for a while, which I find tends to raise the subsequent result. 😎

I find that my Contour USB provides consistently lower results than a few other meters that I have. The Accu Chek Mobile I have is always 1 mmol/l higher for each test that I did using it. I trust my Contour USB and prefer it so I use it much more.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back