Interesting fact!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofaraway

Found out something today that I thought I would share.

A unit of insulin is defined as the amount of insulin required to lower the blood glucose of a fasting 2kg rabbit from 145mg/dl to 120mg/dl

There we are fact of the day 🙂

Brilliant!

Northener will like that one Im sure!

Where did you find that out? 🙂

Mmm rabbit...😉

A unit of insulin is defined as the amount of insulin required to lower the blood glucose of a fasting 2kg rabbit from 145mg/dl to 120mg/dl

I guess that's about 1.5 mmol/l? I now have visions of acres of 2kg rabbits at Novo-Nordisk HQ queuing up for batch testing of novorapid after being fed precisely the right amount of (proper) lucozade to bring their levels up to 8 mmol/l, with ante-rooms full of slightly underweight rabbits munching carrots and rooms of slightly overweight rabbits on treadmills...

But that's the kind of guy I am😛:D

I guess that's about 1.5 mmol/l? I now have visions of acres of 2kg rabbits at Novo-Nordisk HQ queuing up for batch testing of novorapid after being fed precisely the right amount of (proper) lucozade to bring their levels up to 8 mmol/l, with ante-rooms full of slightly underweight rabbits munching carrots and rooms of slightly overweight rabbits on treadmills...

But that's the kind of guy I am😛:D

Very worring, I think you need to dim the lights and take a rest Northerner! 😱

Love it - where on earth did you find that out?

I wonder if they are diabetic bunnies or "normal" bunnies?

northe talking about bunnys can we get the happy bunny smilies i have seen on other sites?

Do rabbits get test strips ?? ;-)

I can just picture lots of bunnies with puncture kits and insulin pens....

Makes me wonder if a diabetic bunny with good control would tasty better in pastry or a stew than one with bad control?? Next time I have said dish I may ask the chef not only where his bunny came from (local I hope chef!) but what his or her control was like

Sounds simple really. Funny then how one unit of insulin does not behave the same every day for an 85kg human! Also when Novo stopped manufacturing porcine insulin I had to change over to Workhardt's one and my doses went up betwen 20% and 30% depending on time of day and specific type of insulin. Curious?

Last time I had a rabbit to eat, it had been shot by my boss at the country park, and he gave it to me, because other staff weren't willing to tackle the gutting, skinning etc. I must admit, that the attention of our cat, not much bigger than the rabbit, didn't exactly help, so she had to be shut out of the kitchen... But I did let her have a bit of the resulting stew in her bowl after we'd eaten. No idea about the rabbit's blood biochemistry, but it was one of many who eat anything and dig holes everywhere, which is why we have to keep the numbers down.

Sounds simple really. Funny then how one unit of insulin does not behave the same every day for an 85kg human! Also when Novo stopped manufacturing porcine insulin I had to change over to Workhardt's one and my doses went up betwen 20% and 30% depending on time of day and specific type of insulin. Curious?

yeah tell me about it!! it is completely random.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back