Insurance interrogation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Quinn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have just bought a new car and am getting 7 days free insurance included. I had to fill out an online form which included a question about medical conditions. I answered that I am an insulin controlled T2 and that DVLA have been informed.

I then had to call them to "answer a few short questions ". One of the things they insisted i had to answer was details of my insulin dosage. I thought that they weren't allowed to discriminate on medical grounds? In that case why would they demand medical details like this? I answered under protest as i needed the policy to get the car taxed, but was not happy and will be complaining.

I have just bought a new car and am getting 7 days free insurance included. I had to fill out an online form which included a question about medical conditions. I answered that I am an insulin controlled T2 and that DVLA have been informed.

I then had to call them to "answer a few short questions ". One of the things they insisted i had to answer was details of my insulin dosage. I thought that they weren't allowed to discriminate on medical grounds? In that case why would they demand medical details like this? I answered under protest as i needed the policy to get the car taxed, but was not happy and will be complaining.
The only response I've ever had from a car insurer is 'OK, we've noted it, it won't make any difference to your premium'

Strangely enough, when I took out my travel insurance for this year I advised them I was T2, the response was exactly the same as yours Robin which somewhat dumfounded me so I asked them to confirm it by email which they did.

Strangely enough, when I took out my travel insurance for this year I advised them I was T2, the response was exactly the same as yours Robin which somewhat dumfounded me so I asked them to confirm it by email which they did.
I found the same with Travel Insurance, there wasn't any increase in premium for my diabetes, but OH who is on a low dose of BP meds, blood thinner and statins had his premium doubled. (Had he not had a wake up call, and ended up on these meds, he'd be a walking time bomb for a stroke, but wouldn't have had an increased premium, because he didn't know. Mad or what!)

Having been recently put on insulin I contacted the DVLA and it was they who checked with my healthcare team and were satisfied with the answers provided. Only then did I contact my three insurers (two as named driver) and absolutely no questions from any of them except I needed to inform them if my circumstances changed. If the DVLA are satisfied and you signed to agree with their testing requirements I can't see what business it is of the insurers to ask such medical questions. Would they now expect you to inform them if your dosage or insulin type changes?

I found the same with Travel Insurance, there wasn't any increase in premium for my diabetes, but OH who is on a low dose of BP meds, blood thinner and statins had his premium doubled. (Had he not had a wake up call, and ended up on these meds, he'd be a walking time bomb for a stroke, but wouldn't have had an increased premium, because he didn't know. Mad or what!)
Insane to be honest Robin

My current insurer was the same - "just inform us if your circumstances change".

I will not be taking out Ford insurance in the future.

Funny thing is that they asked how many units i took daily, but not what type, or even what type diabetes I have.

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever how the dosage has the slightest bearing on the likelihood of accidents. Many Type 1s need more insulin than me, let alone T2s who regularly do - cos they also have insulin resistance.

It doesn't mean yours is worse than mine - simply that no two human bodies are identical !

I own a car I have had since I was 20. I once had a quote for it for £3500 yes £3500. I have been T1 since being 3 & never been in trouble or refused insurance. There is always a way around or another firm. Good luck 🙂 (54 now)

For any type of insurance cover it really does pay to spend time shopping around, and don't just rely on the web based comparison sites as those that don't figure on them can often offer much better deals.

For any type of insurance cover it really does pay to spend time shopping around, and don't just rely on the web based comparison sites as those that don't figure on them can often offer much better deals.
Sound advice. I never accept the first quote noy only for insurances indeed for anything.

I've never had any problem with car insurance - except for the old Norwich Union (now Aviva) who simply refused to take on diabetic drivers. That was years ago, so it might be different now. I've never gone back to them to ask.

Direct Line say that, "as long as the DVLA allows you to drive, we'll insure you".

I've never had any problem with car insurance - except for the old Norwich Union (now Aviva) who simply refused to take on diabetic drivers. That was years ago, so it might be different now. I've never gone back to them to ask.

Direct Line say that, "as long as the DVLA allows you to drive, we'll insure you".
I'm with Aviva, they just said, Ok, noted, when I told them, and it didn't make any difference.

Lloyds are the same, as long as dvla are happy no probs. You're insured.

I have problems with insurance companies as I have 3 declarable illnesses and a forth which at present I don't have to declare, while insurance companies are not supposed to discriminate drivers with illnesses. What I found is that if you don't declare them you get companies that give competitive quotes, then when you put in the illnesses they disappear or offer insurance a a higher price and their excuse is as you have an illness you are at a higher risk and load the premium accordingly.

With travel insurance it's more of an inquisition, declare the illnesses then a list of tick boxes open up, and depending on your answers more drop boxes open up. I get free travel insurance with my bank, or should do until I mention what's wrong and it jumps from free to close onto £140.

Being Type 1 certainly used to put the premium up. When I got my first car in 1989 it was before the internet with meerkats and comparison sites and it meant a phone call to a broker. I'd got myself an old 950cc Fiesta and wanted third party fire and theft. I phoned a local broker and went through all my details and the lady gave me a price for the premium of around £85. Great I'll take that. She then said there were a few more questions - any medical conditions/restricted licence? Yes I said, Type 1 (or IDDM as it was then) with a 3 year licence. After presumably tapping into her computer she said oh, that's changed the premium and it's now £125. 😡 Didn't have much choice other than to cough up.

I think it all changed due to disability equality legislation where they couldn't charge you more because of a medical condition even though you might be a greater risk. The comparison sites online don't even ask about medical conditions now. As already said if the DVLA let you have a licence then you're fit to drive.

Matt - by the late 1980s all the old established insurers - eg Sun Alliance, Royal, Norwich Union. Commercial Union, GA, Guardian Royal Exchange, Prudential - had long since stopped loading Type 1 diabetics motor premiums. Don't think Direct Line loaded either - Economic did though - I was disgusted. I think NIG might have also done, and who could predict what any of Lloyd's Underwriters might do or not do!

Generally speaking though the companies I mentioned would most likely have been more expensive in the first place, OTOH you did know they'd be there when you had a claim. And I always got a discount anyway so never cost me any more at all! LOL Was most impressed with the Pru, who did my first husband's Motor Trade policy on which I was a named driver included no charge - although I never needed to drive a customer's car - only his own vehicle - but I could have done if stuck.

As an aside, when hiring a car, and presenting your licence, there were sometimes puzzled looks when it had a 3 year validity date on it.

Once it was explained, they were ok, and there wasn't any surcharge for that hire or insurance.

I get Holiday Insurance included in my Gold service account & Diabetes is listed as one of the conditions they DONT need notification about.
still not sure if it would cover any related treatment if required though, probably just does not invalidate the policy for everything else.
will double check before I travel abroad again (not that it should be an issue anyway, why would I need diabetes treatment beyond my current regime?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back