Insulins

• Thread starter Thread starter FM001
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FM001

Hi again

As a newbie, I was wondering what type of insulins are used by the forum members.

I am on 22 units of Novorapid daily, and 26 units of Lantus.

Regards

Toby

Hi Toby,

I'm on the same varieties as you - NR and lantus. It varies, but usually around 30 NR per day and 7 lantus. Looking at your doses your proportions are very different to mine! I used to be on 20 lantus, but took it right down after finding I had to go to bed on very high (>10) levels to avoid night-hypos. So, I've had a 65% reduction in that since last year and it's now less than 25% of my daily dose.

Thanks Northerner

I have tried cutting back on the lantus, even by a couple of units, however it just throws my control out and I end up with higher pre-meal bg's. My novorapid usage has decreased lately by 16 units, due to a slight reduction in carbs at each meal.

Toby

Thanks Northerner

I have tried cutting back on the lantus, even by a couple of units, however it just throws my control out and I end up with higher pre-meal bg's. My novorapid usage has decreased lately by 16 units, due to a slight reduction in carbs at each meal.

Toby

I think it just goes to show how different we all are! I suspect I may have some residual beta cell function that means I need less basal, but it can't cope with meals, so I need proportionally more novorapid. My general food intake is smaller than after I was first diagnosed - I was ravenous all the time and about 3 stone underweight. Once I acheived my 'normal' weight things seemed to settle down a lot.

Novorapid, ratio of 1unit:1 CP (10g carbs) breakfast and lunch and ratio of 1.5:1 in the evening (I have highest ratio at night, most seem to be the other way). Then 24 units of lantus at night.

Welcome Toby
Any insulin ratio is OK if it suits your body, your lifestyle etc... It only matters if it's right / wrong for you, not for anyone else, so there's not much point me telling anyone else what I use. I've been on the same basal bolus insulins since I asked to be changed from a bimodal regime that was certainly NOT suitable for an active young adult. Can't see any point changing insulins now, 14 years on.

im on NR - usually around the 30 units per day mark, depending on what im eating etc and 17u lantus, taken at around 9pm

:D

I was diagnosed over 40 years ago and have been on various animal insulins over that period. A switch to synthetic human insuling was not a success. Currently Hypurin Porcine Neutral and Isophane. Twice daily Isophane provides the background and the Neutral is injected more often. Fortuneately you can mix the two. Are many of you long term Type Is on animal insulin?

hi there i am on humlog during the day and lantus at night

My insulin dosage is:-

Novorapid 100units throughout the day
Levimer 150units per day split 65 am, 85 pm

I use Novorapid in a pump. On MDI I used to use novorapid and lantus, and before that novorapid and insulatard.

aymes

I can tell that you have also done a DAFNE course, counting carbs in cp's. How did you find it?. I could not count in cp's at first, still used 10g etc, however now I always count my carbs in cp's!

Toby

aymes

I can tell that you have also done a DAFNE course, counting carbs in cp's. How did you find it?. I could not count in cp's at first, still used 10g etc, however now I always count my carbs in cp's!

Toby

Oh yes, there's several of us dafners on here! I loved it, it's not going too far to say it totally changed my life. That doesn't mean I get everything right now, but at least In know what I should be doing! I wasn't really carb counting before so it's always been CPs for me.

Hello,

I'm another DAFNE graduate and count in CP's. I use Humalog and Lantus. Currently take 28 units of Lantus and use 2:1 ratio for Humalog in the morning and 1:1 at all other times.

NiVZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back