Insulinomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

dees

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have very low surgars Because of a tumour in my pancreas awaiting surgery so trying to keep My surgars up is hard I am very active in my work as soon as I work my surgars don’t last long at all . At night I only get a few hours as my libra 2 gos off I have shots of lift and eat a bit of sweet bread for carbs etc still not long as hits low again wake me up with low has any one in the forum had this or is also waiting or had surgery for a insulinomas pete

Welcome back @dees

Really sorry to hear about the tumour in your pancreas, and the low BGs you have been struggling with :(

Are you still on any diabetes meds to reduce your BGs (your earlier posts seemed to have been struggling to keep your levels down into range?)

Have you been able to speak to your GP or nurse about the low levels you are experiencing?

I have very low surgars Because of a tumour in my pancreas awaiting surgery so trying to keep My surgars up is hard I am very active in my work as soon as I work my surgars don’t last long at all . At night I only get a few hours as my libra 2 gos off I have shots of lift and eat a bit of sweet bread for carbs etc still not long as hits low again wake me up with low has any one in the forum had this or is also waiting or had surgery for a insulinomas pete
Is it that the tumour is causing more insulin production in which case you may be needing to increase your carbohydrate intake or reduce any diabetes medication that you are taking. Would having some slower acting carbs help
I should be inclined to contact your consultant or GP for advice. Do you know what the surgery will involve and how long you are going to have to wait.

Welcome back @dees

Really sorry to hear about the tumour in your pancreas, and the low BGs you have been struggling with :(

Are you still on any diabetes meds to reduce your BGs (your earlier posts seemed to have been struggling to keep your levels down into range?)

Have you been able to speak to your GP or nurse about the low levels you are experiencing?
Thank you yes hopefully next month. 8 hour opp it’s trying to find slow release carbs so I can get better sleep not taking any meds at all my leaves all ways hit 3.7 or lower if didn’t have Libra 2 but understand still to do pick test would like to find more on slow carbs trying pasta for tea but my alarms go off every 2 hours now pete

Thank you yes hopefully next month. 8 hour opp it’s trying to find slow release carbs so I can get better sleep not taking any meds at all my leaves all ways hit 3.7 or lower if didn’t have Libra 2 but understand still to do pick test would like to find more on slow carbs trying pasta for tea but my alarms go off every 2 hours now pete

I’m guessing you’ve already seen the diet advice here:

https://insulinoma.co.uk/insulinoma-diet

Adding fibre can help make meals lower GI, as can adding fat. I find rye bread excellent, and really notice the difference choosing sweet potato instead of white potato. Pulses and lentils are great too. ( I just have Type 1 not an insulinoma).

You mention dropping in the night. Would it be advisable to set an alarm and have a mid-night snack to help you through?

Welcome back @dees

Welcome back @dees

I find that protein like eggs (a cheese omelette is really good) and roasted peanuts will give me slow release glucose for several hours. Also maybe a supper of porridge with plenty of peanut butter would sustain you through the night. The protein, fat and fibre in the peanuts together with the supposedly slow release carbs in the porridge should work together to slow things down further.

I should point out that I am an ordinary Type 1 and not suffering the condition you are struggling with but I follow a low carb way of eating so I use a lot of slower release foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back