Insulin

kevin mckenzie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Had a few problems with high blood sugars, I am on one dose of humulin 16 units that I was taken in the morning, after chat with nurse they want me to take it in the evening and take 4 readings.

Ok - Humulin M3 is commonly taken twice a day, so asking you to take it in the evening as well is nothing unusual so don’t worry. They’re trying to get you better control of your blood sugar, imagine. Yes, it’s important to test at least 4 times a day and also anytime when you feel ‘off’.

Ok - Humulin M3 is commonly taken twice a day, so asking you to take it in the evening as well is nothing unusual so don’t worry. They’re trying to get you better control of your blood sugar, imagine. Yes, it’s important to test at least 4 times a day and also anytime when you feel ‘off’.
Only take once a day was only put on insulin as stomach can't handle meds

Right, and now they want you to take it in the evenings as well. That should help you and is a normal regime 🙂
It sounds like the OP is changing from taking it in the morning to instead taking it in the evening. They weren’t adding an extra dose.

It sounds like the OP is changing from taking it in the morning to instead taking it in the evening. They weren’t adding an extra dose.

Ah, thanks @Lucyr I was obviously not properly awake when I read the OP!
Apologies for any confusion I might have caused @kevin mckenzie

It does seem a bit odd just using Humulin M3 once a day though, especially when the OP is having problems with high BG levels. Swapping to taking it as one dose just in the evening doesn't seem like a great strategy unless levels are low through the day but high at night.

@kevin mckenzie Can you give us more info on when you started taking Humulin M3 in the morning and what your recent finger prick results have been like. Are you sure you have understood the nurse correctly and she didn't mean for you to take it twice a day, morning and evening, which would be normal for a mixed insulin?

Back